• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer Screen Keeps Flashing Black on Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Premiere Pro on this computer for 5 months and I've never encountered this problem until today. My whole computer screen flickers on and off whenever I'm editing or playing a clip. I first discovered it while playing a .mov clip. Here's a video clip of what happens.

There's only a .mp4 and a .mp3 in the timeline. The audio still plays and the computer is still working. It's just my computer monitor. So far, I've encountered this issue while playing footage, moving things around the timeline, and editing text.

I'm using the newest version of Premiere Pro. I'm using a Dell Windows 10, Intel Core i5 with 12.0GB RAM. The computer is relatively new. I bought it 5 months ago.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Not a real solution, but if you undock the video preview panel it no longer flickers for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sorry for your trouble.

Possible reasons why this black screen happens is lack of comuter processing power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there a way I can fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What graphics card?

What graphics driver number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try proxies as suggested previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried that but it didn't fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same graphic card driver and I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried I could find on the internet no help. If you fin a solution. Please upload your solution. Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem on occasion, though the blackouts are shorter duration. Mine effects the computer in general and isn't related to software. It happened when I added a second monitor and switched from the single DVI cable to Display Port cables. I bought an 8k Display Port cable six weeks ago, thinking I'd replace one of the lesser cables - the one to my main monitor, but lately it's been happening less, so I haven't bothered. It still happens though, especially towards mid-day, when the computer has slept a few times. It caused me to look for graphics cards where my eyes were seared shut when I found out what they were selling for currently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me as well using Premiere Pro v15.0 (2021). No issues like this previously when using Premiere Pro (with the 2020 version--v14.5) and then, all of a sudden, the screen flickers (a bit shorter in duration from what your video shows, but just as frequent). FYI I'm using a Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core CPU 1.90GHz 2.11 GHz with system RAM 16.0GB and Intel UHD graphics 620. The computer is less than 1 year old and in excellent condition.

THE SOLUTION: 

I needed to revert/roll-back to the older version (2020) of Premiere Pro (and I no longer have the screen flickering issues). It is because the latest verison taxed my graphic card--apparently the 2021 verison requires a minimumof 2gb vram... which I guess, I don't have. 

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue but I have a very powerful PC, 2080 Super, I guess Ill have to download an older version, do you mind telling me which version download you found that stopped the issue? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to v 14.0 and I have no issues now. Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same issue. did this and it works 😄 thanks a lot dude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Having this issue too-- I'm running a PC with an RTX 3080ti and a Ryzen 7 3700X with 32GB of RAM so I don't think this is a hardware issue. 

It also only happens on my 4k monitor. Playback doesn't make my monitor go black on my second screen which is 1440p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beary1112,

Sorry about that. What kind of footage are you working with? It may be that you are not meeting system requirements for CPU and GPU according to the footage you are working with. It could be that you are also exceeding the capabilities of your computer. Are you running multiple monitors? Anything else you can add? Is your computer case getting adequate cooling? Is your power supply up to the task of playing back highly compressed video and other processes? Have you tried ProRes proxies? Transcoding to ProRes LT? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a real solution, but if you undock the video preview panel it no longer flickers for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved it! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait, no it didn't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... for me, this helped. The problem didn't even come back once I docked the preview panel back to the layout. I'll see if it comes back after Premiere Pro restarts, but for now this is evidence, that the problem is on Adobe side, not a insufficient hardware reason. Adobe, please test this out more and fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thank you! Been having this problem and could not for the life of me figure this out!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou!  So what worked for me was undocking the video preview panel, then I went to Windows > Workspaces and selected the workspace I wanted (editing) - the workspace reset and now no more flickering.  So it is possible to quickly stop the issue you may just be able to select a workspace layout, and then back to the one you want.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope i get an answear after all this time.

my screen flashes extremely faster,

i use a 3060 12gb and i7 9700k 

i never encountered this on my previous GTX1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have there been any fixes to this? I've never had this happen, but Just today it started flickering everytime I edit in premiere pro.... I have two monitors, and the flickering only happens on my main one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines