Hi everyone!

First of all here's my specs :

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

CPU : Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

RAM : 16,0GB DDR3

GPU : Intel HD Graphics 4600

Storage : SSD 117GB SanDisk

HDD : 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001

Here's what I'm wondering : I'd like to create a short film with Premiere Pro using 1080p footage, and I don't have enough space on my SSD to store the footage. Premiere is intalled on my SSD and the project and the footage are on my HDD. I've read contradictory things and I'm not sure whether I will be bothered by lags during playnback or even if it will be possible to work at all, HDDs being way slower than SSds. The footage being only 1080p I'm hoping it may not be a problem but I'm not sure.

So what do you guys think ? Am I gonna have trouble working this way ?

Thanks a lot for your opinion

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

In your case the main perf issue will be lack of GPU-acceleration, not slow HDD. You likely have to edit using prores proxies, 540p or even lower.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case the main perf issue will be lack of GPU-acceleration, not slow HDD. You likely have to edit using prores proxies, 540p or even lower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I thought that would be a problem as well. But I don't think I'll be using too much effects so maybe it'll be okay.
I can endure 540p and proxies if it makes the playblack fluid !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work OK but you may need to playback at 1/2 resolution. As Basil stated a dedicated GPU would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andy for giving your opinion.

I can't afford a GPU right now but I've read it was especially useful for effects and renderings. So I won't use a lot of effects (just basic opacity stuff) and I'll be patient when exporting. And just hope this config won't slow my workflow down too much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, in your opinion what would be a good (and rather cheap) GPU for that kind of project? I heard an Nvidia 2go would be enough but I don't know much about these things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Nvidia GTX 1060 would have been a good match for your CPU but they are discontinued. If you can get about 1100 CUDA cores you will be OK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright, I'll check this out.

Thanks a lot Andy! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines