Configuring drives for speed

Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I currently have is an iMac with a Fusion Drive, A 8TB External Drive for all my photography and a 8TB External Drive for all my videography. Both are USB3 and I believe they are WD 5,400 rpm RED NAS drives.

Currently,
  • Premiere is on the Fusion Drive
  • I keep the actual project files (I'm working on) on the same Fusion Drive
  • Additional video files are on the Video Drive
  • All my Scratch Settings are pointing to the Photo Drive
    The Photo Drive is the least used drive while I am editing.

Today I received an External 512GB SSD drive and I am wondering of the 4 different elements, what would be the best configuration?
TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, How to, Performance

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very surprised that no one has chimed in? You guys are usually super quick to voice opinions and setting up hardware!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would not be wise to try to play multiple layers of 4K Red One R3D files or 4K Pro Res files of a mechanical hard drive. On the other hand 4K H.264 can be played from a mechanical hard drvie. The video below should help answer your question. That being said you might need to empty the media cahce files from time to time.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines