• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consolidate and Transcode BUG - workaround with Render & Replace

Engaged ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to consolidate and transcode a sequence to give to someone else, somewhere else? (colourist, animator, etc.)
And are having problems where PP keeps telling you that it has to copy files in their entirety rather than actually consolidating and transcoding them? 
Are you also having problems where PP insists on copying all your proxies from the entire project for no reason?
Are you frustrated with a process that is taking hours that should take minutes?

Well…here is my workaround for you:

1)  make a subsequence of just the media you wish to consolidate in the sequence - for example, maybe you are only sending video over to a colourist and don’t want to send them audio files and graphics stuff that may only cause errors in their software
2) select all the clips in the subsequence and right-click - "remove attributes” and check anything not related to time or motion - this is to create clean clips without 3rd party or Lumetri effects that could confuse the other software
3) select all the clips again  and right-click and choose “Render and replace”.
4) When the dialogue window pops ups use INDIVIDUAL CLIPS, and the formats of your choice (for me it’s Quicktime & Prores 422 HQ)
5) make sure you specify a destination and create an empty folder for PP to put these renders
6) choose export Final Cut Pro XML and put it in that folder.
7) Give a copy of that folder to the other person (do not delete that media unless you want Premiere to constantly nag you it is missing)
8) next, spend hours doing more constructive stuff rather than needlessly waiting

Note that this clearly demonstrates that Premiere CAN do all this and yet refuses to do it the way you would expect it should.

Hope this helps.
Peace.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoud add that before you render and replace - select any clips that have already been rendered and replaced and right-click restore the original. Otherwise PP will not re-render the renders and those clips will not be moved to the same folder  which will lead to you being confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good post. Thanks for adding this to the forum!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually forgot about this post I did. My workflow has (reluctantly) changed considerably since then.

New process:
when importing footage I colour code (label) my clips by camera type and then edit. Then, after picture lock....
I duplicate my approved sequence
I strip out all audio and anything in the video tracks that does not involve colour correction
I move clips to tracks so they are all the same camera type on each track (easier to tell by colour unless it's multicam)
I save the project and then save a temporary copy of my project.
I close all projects and open the temp version (only)
I disable all source clip effects (LUTs, colour correction, etc.) on original footage and selects; I usually choose to leave clip effects on - but it depends on the effects.
I turn off visibility on all tracks except track 1 and export the entire track as a flattened ProRes file
I repeat that process for every other track, each one individually as a flattened video file - each the same in & out point (same duration)
I reopen my original project and import the tracks I just exported, stacking them into a new sequence
I choose Scene Edit Detection
I expand the video tracks and turn on Video thumbnails and delete anything that is a black frame
I export the sequence as an XML and send the exported tracks and the XML to the colourist along with a list of which camera is on which track and any other notes.

I wish Premiere would let me to re-enable source clip effects so I don't have to create a new temp project.
Also wish Premiere would give me the option of replacing existing source clip effects that exist rather than stacking them and bloating your clips and your project; maybe hold down a combo key set to replace them

><((º>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines