• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert MP4 to MPEG1/2 To Play on Smart TV

Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to convert an MP4 file output from ProShow Gold, to an MPEG1 or MPG2 to play on a Smart TV.  Least ways that's my take from this information in the TV's user guide.  This is for a slide show for my father-inlaw's feneral which is happening in the UK on Thursday.  I am in New Zealand, so the files are going by DropBox. 

I initially thought that MP4 would do the trick, but the TV does not see the file I have so far sent over.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with MPEG2, and I'm struggling to find the right settings.  I tried converting with Handbrake, but seemed to be limited to an MKV extension.  So I bought the MP4 into Premiere Pro CC and output to MPEG.  That has produced a .mpg file 2.25Gb in size for 24 minutes runtime.  The MP4 file was just 250Mb. 

My understanding of MPEG2 is it is what you burn to DVDs.  I need it to be able to copy to a pen drive to play in the JVC LT24C TV via its USB input.  So I am kind of surprised that the user guide is asking for MPEG1/2

The problem is with my wife in the UK rushing hither and tither to sort out the arrangements, plus the time difference, and even the time it takes to upload >2Gb to DropBox from rural New Zealand, we have limited time to home in on it by trial and error, so I'm hoping for a heads up on the right output settings for Media Encoder, or Handbrake.  Or even directly output from ProShow Gold, which I started using two days ago. 

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

MPEG2 is used for DVDs, but it also works as a video file format on its own.

Seems like you're using a bit rate around 12 Mbps.  Try dropping it to between 5 and 6 Mbps to get a file about 1 GB in size.  If you drop the bitrate lower to make a smaller file size, you may get unacceptable quality issues.  But it's worth a try since a slideshow has very little motion going on at any one time, and the mpeg encoder may be able to a good job at lower bitrates, even as low as 3 or 4 Mbps

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPEG2 is used for DVDs, but it also works as a video file format on its own.

Seems like you're using a bit rate around 12 Mbps.  Try dropping it to between 5 and 6 Mbps to get a file about 1 GB in size.  If you drop the bitrate lower to make a smaller file size, you may get unacceptable quality issues.  But it's worth a try since a slideshow has very little motion going on at any one time, and the mpeg encoder may be able to a good job at lower bitrates, even as low as 3 or 4 Mbps

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geoff.  The last .mpg file I sent over works, so my only problem now is that I have run out of free space on DropBox, and that's easily fixed.   Apparently I have made a mistake with my FIL's DoB, so I have to do it again, and I'll use the same process of export to MP4 from ProShow Gold, and convert to .mpg with Prem Pro again, so I'll drop the bit rate this time.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, with you reminding me that MPEG2 is for DVD, and with a clearer head (it was 1am for me last night when dealing with this), I was able to make better sense of the ProShow Gold Export options, and out directly to .mpg so all good here thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The export to MPEG2 directly from PSG seems like the simplest and probably best solution. Hope the presentation goes well!

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines