Highlighted

Convert stereo clip on stereo track to mono clip on mono track?

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While recording voice overs, I mistakenly recorded them as stereo. I would like to work in mono only, because some audio effects generate undesirable stereo effect (e.g. the pitch shifter).

To go back to mono, I do this

(1) select all clips, right click, audio channel, and deselect the R box.

(2) create a new audio track that is specifically mono, and drag all the clips into this track

(3) add 9dB to all the audio clips, to compensate for the drop in volume. Don't know why.

If I skip step (1), the waveform display still shows stereo even after dragging into a mono track. Strange.

If I skip (2), the sound comes out only from the left speaker.

Is this the best method? Is there a way to convert the audio track to mono, instead of creating a new mono track and then drag all the clips onto it?

TOPICS
Audio, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Convert stereo clip on stereo track to mono clip on mono track?

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While recording voice overs, I mistakenly recorded them as stereo. I would like to work in mono only, because some audio effects generate undesirable stereo effect (e.g. the pitch shifter).

To go back to mono, I do this

(1) select all clips, right click, audio channel, and deselect the R box.

(2) create a new audio track that is specifically mono, and drag all the clips into this track

(3) add 9dB to all the audio clips, to compensate for the drop in volume. Don't know why.

If I skip step (1), the waveform display still shows stereo even after dragging into a mono track. Strange.

If I skip (2), the sound comes out only from the left speaker.

Is this the best method? Is there a way to convert the audio track to mono, instead of creating a new mono track and then drag all the clips onto it?

TOPICS
Audio, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can apply an audio effect, replace left with right or replace right with left to make the stereo track in all practical terms mono...  That's the simplest solution.  You can also change the track assignment when you first import the audio...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0