• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert transcript or srt to essential graphics

Explorer ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So currently for my videos I use essential graphics as subtitles (these are often dynamic and move around with characters and such). Just transcribing all the audio to text is laborous and time consuming and I would like to pay for a transcribing service, but these services will just provide me with a srt/scc/ttml/txt file. Would it be possible to take this text file and import it into adobe premiere essential graphics? I understand I would still have to animate and do all that with the essential graphics, but simply skipping the transcribing process would save a huge amount of time.

What I am doing can not be done with adobe premiere's captions feature, this would have to be done with essential graphics. So is this possible?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

I figured it out!  Here I made this video, I'm bad at doing it in text.  https://youtu.be/pWRLDcrOhIA

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed Captions are a specific type of asset with the ability for down-line playback to select or not to display the caption.

Nothing from the EGP can include such interactive capability.

So if you are needing closed captions (a requirement for broadcast in many areas) you cannot do that with EGP graphics.

If you are talking about 'open captions' that are burned into the video file rather than included as an asset in the file ... then you could use the EGP to create them. However ... it doesn't have any in-built capability to handle large chunks of text except for instance as screen crawls for end credits. I don't know of any way to have it automatically separate a single massive text entry into different text boxes over time.

That would still need to be done with a Captions workflow. You could add graphics to the time point of specific text blocks to give arrows, highlights, surrounding-boxes, that sort of thing.

Neil

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I think he is just talking about regular animated text as "subtitles," not closed captions or the sort of export needed for "captioning." (Boy, does subtitle/caption labeling cause confusion.)

PR does not have a function for getting text files of whatever type (srt, plain text, Word documents etc) into graphics text. The scripts I have seen for this are in After Effects.

Here is a free plugin that uses a paid service for the transciption:

https://digitalanarchy.com/demos/SRT-importer.html

And here's another script:

http://scientificswede.blogspot.com/2012/07/importing-srt-subtitles-in-after-effects.html

Stan  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the sort of effect I am doing in my videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNRibPBL3o

This is not my video but the intro gives you an idea of what I mean, with the text floating over someone's head and following them.

I've tried the caption importer on PR and you actually can move the text around but it is severely limited on fonts and customization to the point that it isn't a real option. I tried your AE plugin and I'm still having issues with fonts. For example in PR I have my leading set to -23 but in AE I can not set it below 0. Also, this would be astronomically easier for me to do the keyframing in PR with essential graphics compared to doing it all in AE. Assuming that is not possible and that I can somehow get around this negative leading issue, Would I be able to import just the text (IE transparent other than the text) to premiere to then be keyframed there? I very rarely use AE so I'm not sure what is and is not possible between the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PR Captioning tool is not what you want here. Use regular graphics text and animate its position.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

I expected so ... but thought some clarity in the thread might be useful, captions being so oft misunderstood.

And the info about the Ae plugins and script are excellent suggestions! So much more automation and specialization is built into Ae.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard that this is a major ask for content creators because it really boosts their videos on YouTube to have such things. Currently, they have services which provide these custom srts for a small fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think everyone is misunderstanding the simplicity of the OP's ask, or if I may ask for myself what I am trying to do (which i think is the same):

Take those .srt/scc/ttml/txt files (I am using a service called Trint.com - they allow srt, vtt, txt, stl, edl, html, xml, csv, docx,). How can we take this file and simply convert it to the Essential graphics text. And yes, this is for "burn-in" or maybe called "open captions". these do not need to reference the timecode after the video is complete. This is for upload to social media/select clients and we are choosing to marry/burn the graphics text onto the image. With that said, we usually do this by having a layer of Essential Graphics in adove premiere (which you can animate with keyframes, format and do whatever you want with it). Don't worry about what we do with it, just think simplyh it is a layer that sits above the video and you can cut at each spoken line. When building from scratch, we simply stretch the layer out for the whole duration and make cuts for each line. What we want to do is take a captions file (like all the ones mentioned above, ie. SRT), and upload import it into premiere so that it appears as a single layer of essential graphics INCLUDING each splice/cut which separates one spoken line from the next. Is there ANY way to do this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are changing the captions process in the public beta, including making a captions track at the top of the timeline panel. I would suggest that you go to the Beta section of your Creative Cloud desktop app, download/install the Premiere Beta, and see what that can do.

They're just starting with it, so it is somewhat limited. And also ... by clicking the icon in the far upper right of the public beta apps, you go to the appropriate public beta forum, and that is monitored by the engineering team. There are a couple threads there on captions.

Here's the main discussion thread, started by co-product manager Francis Crossman ...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta/discuss-new-captions-workflow-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://spherico.com/filmtools/index.html

Hi program PremiereTitles does this. I use it for our videos on YouTube. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My post above is still the current state of affairs for the function you want: import .srt (or similar) to Graphics text.

That is what the AE script does.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/convert-transcript-or-srt-to-essential-graphics/m-p/1111...

The new captioning process, as described by Neil, will be a huge step forward. The Beta captioning is very early and not ready for real work. 

BUT it will import .srt (not sure what other caption formats) AND the captions are available as Graphics text. That is HUGE.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2fs8Q0hlgU

The program shown here does exactly what I was describing (converting SRT to titles/essential graphics in Premiere), but unfortunately it is only for Mac and I use Windows but this may help someone else who does use Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!  Here I made this video, I'm bad at doing it in text.  https://youtu.be/pWRLDcrOhIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting that. It's great that they're finally updating their Captions/Subtitles process. And we all hope they do get issues like why your workarounds are currently necessary sorted out too.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job, Liam.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting but the tool mentioned in paid right? It seems to be 10$?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bed30321077z973,

This is an old thread and some information.is out of date. PR now includes transcribing audio to text, creating captions from that transcript (including VERY short captions), and converting the captions to graphics text.

Animating text automatically is not yet included, and there may be free or paid plugins or alternatives. @Kevin-Monahan posted a link recently, and I don't see it in my notes....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

openclosed,

Your idea is welcomed. My video does not show how to convert srt/scc files to Essential Graphics but it does demonstrate how to place the Essential Graphics into bins/folders for better organization. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy's point about being able to search for Master Graphics in the bins is a good one. You have to search by name or keyword in the EGP and Library, unfortunately those panels don't allow searching by usage. Which is often needed.

Especially with Master Graphics, because they do have a strength that is also a pain at times ... they are a "Master" item.

In Adobe speak, that means ... any change done to a Master Graphic is then rippled immediately to ALL other uses of that graphic.

So ... change anything, font, font size, alignment, color, the text itself ... and all other uses of that clip change immediately also. Which may not be what you want. As far as I can find, you can't even duplicate them and change something to save as a new MG. Once an MG, they can't be re-saved as a different MG.

So if you do ever change an MG ... it's good to know and check for where you've used it, to make sure it still works there.

And this one of the many frustrating things about graphics in Premiere Pro. Along with we need a basic shapes palette, like the Legacy had, and a way to create/save our own shapes.

Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Niel. Adobe could make saving EG in bins a lot easier. At least it works. I know most people don't know about Master Graphics.

I think it is awesome that Premiere can use Nvenc or Quick Sync but Adobe could make it easier to enable both. Premiere Pro is one of the few programs that allow you to choose between the two. Adobe is buggy but there are some cool features. It is just hard to figure them out. That is why I make my videos as opposed to writing 10 paragrahps of instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, there's much awesomeness, some what the hay?????  ... and some bugginess.

I've told @jstrawn that I've never understood why the EGP even started without a 'library' of shapes. Yea, you can fiddle around and figure out how to make them, but ... there are many shapes we want to use over & over. It's a real pain point for me.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The EGP titles in 2021 still lack all the features I want and need from the Legacy Titler. Is Adobe going to make improvements to the EGP? Who knows? Adobe still has not given us a replacement for Encore. I want a DVD/Blu-ray authoring solution that integrates with Premiere Pro. I had it when I first joined the CC. That was one of the cool features about Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro needs to have that feature again. You see DVD authoring and Blue-ray burning mentioned in the Avid forums, FCPX forums, Premiere Pro forums etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for a way to handle subtitles created in Adobe Premiere Pro as Essential Graphics. But it was only a very few ways. I also purchased srt2xml software that runs on windows. It is a great software and I am very satisfied with it.
But at the same time I wanted a casual conversion tool that worked on the web, so I developed it.
I still have to test it, but this web service allows me to convert srt files to xml files with just a drag and drop.
Adjustment of fps and image size will be done in the future.

https://srt2xml.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This works with the new premiere 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Oh my f god this actually worked. I was stressed. I love you bro. Please keep this site working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines