• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying and pasting a nest and editing new nest without changing the first

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so i'm kinda new to Premier Pro, but when I copy and paste a nest and then go to the new nest to edit it's contents I then find it has altered the previous nest aswell - how do I copy the nest, edit the new nest and keep the original nest as was? 

I've tried dragging the original nest into the project window and duplicating and renaming only to have the same outcome - this has been troubling me for a fair time and have had to pretty much recreate what I want outwith duplicating a nest which is soooo frustrating as I know there must be a straight forward explanation!?

Mac based with latest version of Premier Pro on Creative Suite

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Open nest.

Select all

Make Subsequence

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Yes original nest.

The Sub sequence is an exact copy of the original nest and totally independent.

This new subsequence can be made into a new nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open nest.

Select all

Make Subsequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Ann, is that open the new copied from original nest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes original nest.

The Sub sequence is an exact copy of the original nest and totally independent.

This new subsequence can be made into a new nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to duplicate what's inside the nest as well. In other words you need to create a new nest.
Can you please explain what are you trying to do? perhaps we can help with a different approach/workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, i'm doing an awards featurette video, I have an opening slide with a Background & logos with text that drops in and out, which is nested into one 'segment' I then intended to copy and paste said nest to the end and so have everything the same as first slide, except change the text inside to something else, but of course when you change that text it also changes the text in the first nest ... and i'm literally sitting here trying numerous things from web help areas which aren't the most helpful, and throwing arms in the air out of desperation evey time I try something and I go back to the first nest to see it having changed there..... For this time I have just had to recreate the end slide from scratch to get around the problem, but I just know there is a straight forward process to this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your solution is simple.
I assume you are duplicating your nest on the timeline.
You should duplicate your nest in the project panel instead, rename it and drop it to the timeline then double-click and do your edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian, thanks for your reply, Ok, will try and explain via the screenshot, you will see the first nest on V1 as 'Opening title', I duplicated this nest in the projects window, renamed it as 'Outro Nest' in the projects window and then dragged it to the end of the comp, went into it and changed what I needed, then went back to the first nest 'Opening title' and it had also changed the details in here too?PremierPro.screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using  Essential Graphics, you will need to create a new Essential Graphics clip for each sequence.

Changing the clip in Essential Graphics changes all instances of the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one question... what are essential graphics 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here, did u find the sulotion?

your solution is simple.
I assume you are duplicating your nest on the timeline.
You should duplicate your nest in the project panel instead, rename it and drop it to the timeline then double-click and do your edits   This is BS! did u try it before u give a answer? NOT work.

and i find This issue was mentioned as early as 2015.I can't belive it is almost 2022 we still have this problem, which is soooo frustrating and mind fk. 

PS for eg: Create a new smart object by copying 

Mac based with latest version of Premier Pro on Creative Suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines