Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Counting Cuts in Premiere Tutorial/Question

Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To those who have the Adobe CC.

Throughout the last several years I have heard in the industry, editors pass on their 'bragging rights' to the amount of cuts they have made in their final project.

Thrilled, I wasn't quite sure how to do this in Premiere. Count my cuts/edits until I tested out a theory this morning.

I tested it out on a few edits and it seems to work. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this. I dont suposse this would include nested sequences or linked comps from adobe after effects.

Export your sequence to a Final Cut Pro XML file.

Open in Adobe Dreamweaver. Automatically Dreamweaver groups the starting and ending tags in the file. I easily saw how the XML file was composed into groups.

I collapsed everything until the <track...> and then it listed several point blank <clipitem...>. This would be the clips in the sequence.

Now all that you need to do is cound inbetween the line numbers for "<clipitem" within Dreamweaver 

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 10.47.46 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 10.32.33 AM.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Select clips and open the Info Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting an EDL and opening in Excel.

• EDL.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see to export multiple tracks to EDL? My current edit is using 12 tracks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard in the industry, editors pass on their 'bragging rights' to the amount of cuts they have made in their final project.

That's...like bragging about how many times you changed the lens during a shoot, or how often you turned a light on and off.

Utterly meaningless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be very useful for me. I am making a cut where most shots will have VFX in them. It will be helpful to have a shot number embedded in each cut for VFX numbering purposes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah, cool! Wanna share mine since I just posted this elsewhere to help someone

... wait OMG just realized this post was from 2009!

Anyways, what I did: 

Step #1. On Metadata Display, search then checkmark "Video Usage".

Step#2. In timeline, nest the edit to be counted so that it becomes one clip, then apply Scene Edit Detection. 

Voila, the Video Usage metadata will tell you the number of times that one clip occures in the timeline, equals the number of cuts you did on the actual edit.

Sure beats counting to 2170.jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got through an hour and a half interview and I was curious about how many cuts I made to just make the interview sound CLEAN. This tip helped me figure out how many, "So, Ya Knows, Umms, Ahhs, and Likes" I cut out of this thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select clips and open the Info Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines