• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a running clock on-screen that starts at a specific time that's not 00:00:00

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a specific problem that I have not found a satisfying answer to assist me.

I'm creating a video that runs in real time (a documentary) from a specific time on the clock. That time is not 00:00:00, but a specific moment (hour and minute) and then I want to have that run as a graphic onscreen while I edit pieces of video to match the time on screen. At some points, I will need to step out of the running clock to emphasize key points, then resume the running clock where we'd left it.

I've seen examples where you just restart the timecode of the sequence, but I need a graphic template that I can customize, and alter as needed to fit my time onscreen.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Ae you can make a timer yourself and turn it into a mogrt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This sounds good, though I'm looking to make something that can last about 2 hours, and this is obviously outside my experience in building. For the After Effects, is there an example of how I can get started doing what you suggest? What would it be called so I can search for a training video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If want to keep it simple and you wanted to stay in Premiere Pro, albeit without any real control on the look of the counter - you could apply the 'Timecode' plugin to an adjustment layer and set it to any time you want. Use the crop tool to remove frames if you just want hours minutes, seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve. I did something similar a few years ago. Had 3 arri cameras on roof and it was supposed to be detectives talking to a crazy suspect. Several problems. Between all the hand held cameras and crew on roof there were lots of clips that suddenly had another camera or crew people in the shot, so CUTS HAD to be made. I decided to make static as if the video camera had been shut off. Then it comes back on and timecode had to begin where it left off before static. There was no video camera, it was all arri stuff. I made it black and white with a photoshop overlay to imitate a video camera screen with the timecode on bottom right. You can see how the timecode looks slightly different than the rest of the overlay but it's not too terrible. As Steve said, you can't change that in PPro. You can apparently in AE (as Ann said )

Just scrub to end of this video to see the rooftop stuff.

https://vimeo.com/203890457

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines