• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a loop and updating all instances of the clip

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've learned from Googling that the best way to create a looping clip (for export, not previewing) is to just copy and paste it over and over again.

The problem I keep running into is that every time I update something about the clip I'm looping, whether it's the position or effect for instance, I keep having to delete all instances and re-copy-paste.

Is there no way to either update all instances of that clip at once, or make edits to all simultaneously? I need to be able to do this while viewing the edits in the Program monitor as those edits relate to all the other tracks.

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're just changing Effects on the clip, then you can use Source Clip Effects (formerly called Master Clip Effects). If you're actually changing the edit of the clip, this is what I suggest: put the clip you want to tweak in its own sequence. Then, close the sequence in the timeline, and drag that sequence from the Project Panel back to the timeline to create a nested version of it. Copy and paste the nested version many times end to end in that new timeline. So now, you're not looping the clip itself, but nested versions of the sequence that original clip is in. Each of those nests in your new timeline refer back to the same sequence: the one that contains your actual video. Then you can double click on any of the nests to open the original sequence back up in its own timeline. Any changes to make to that clip will automatically update into all nests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for these tips.

Source Clip Effects is super good to know about, but it's unfortunate how limited the effect controls are when applied that way. The controls are so stripped down there that that method isn't useful to me most of the time. (still good to know about though)

The nesting trick is even better, I'll start giving this a try. I still have the limitation of not being able to see my edits live in the main project's program window as those edits relate to all the other elements in the scene. (I'm working with multiple individual looping elements laid out together in a single scene). I guess it's not too huge a limitation though.

Many thanks for the tips. I hope Premiere one day comes out with a linked clip copies feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance the clip is variable framerate?

If so convert to constant framerate with Handbrake before bringing into Premiere.

Converting videos with Handbrake - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm not in my case, but how does that affect the ability to make changes to all copies of a clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines