• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating clean roomtone

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I'm working on a piece where they didn't record clean roomtone (what a surprise).  I've done an ok job just repeating a 1 second piece of relatively clean audio but when I repeat it with a 4 frame dissolve between the sections, I can hear some very faint repetitions of variations in the bg noise.  I've done some googling for any tricks in premiere and audition without any luck.  When I'm on location, I try and insist and just giving me at least 5 seconds at the beginning and end of each interview answer so I've got some tone that hopefully matches things I want to clean up.  Needless to say that didn't happen on this.  and there are 10 or 15 second pauses from opening up the vo.  I know I could try and do some noise reduction on the vo, but would prefer just to put roomtone in during those places where I opened up the track.

I doubt anyone else will notice but always trying to make things better.  The whole piece could use a professional sound design, but the client's balking at the cost (so what else is new)  

Thanks as always,

Michael

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Love this - well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try playing one or more of the one second pieces in reverse speed and/or time stretch and cut them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the reverse thing is a great idea.  I do that all the time with visuals.  never occured to try it with audio.  My experience has been with this sort of audio processing, that audition does a much better job...  but I'll try Premiere first.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had an ext shot with boom mike (slated) where some giant rooftop air conditioner turned on during the shot... and when I waited and realized i had no control over that noise ( tell owner to shut it off ), i just shot it and recorded it. I got the room tone ( as you do if you have blank space between voices ). I ended up using audition to use the room tone thing and then go into the mixer thing ( eq ) and bring BACK the voices and tones that got lost... and it really sucked and isn't perfect but it worked OK.

better than just being distracted by noise of other stuff ( like cats fighting or cars beeping horns, etc. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is nowhere near as bad.  the visual is from a silent 16mm experimental film from the 1990's.  The voice over was recorded outside in a NYC community garden.  I suggested that we put the sound of a 16mm projector in the background.  The subjects of the film (the filmmakers of the experimental film) were horrified...  The director of this film, a noted experimental filmmaker in her own right, has listened to the film 1000 times and even though I've mentioned the issue many times, she hadn't paid any attention.  There's about 20 seconds of just silence... between pieces of voice over.  Yesterday she suddenly noticed.  sigh.  I'm starting to think I should try some noisereduction on the voice over...  I'm just obsessing like usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shilling for...  izotope rx has an ambiance match. if you don't have it, try a small reverb of promimant frequencies. i think adobe audition can extract noise floor that you can use as well. 1 sec is probably not long enough to work with. so rx or extract noise in audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I've played around a little bit with the izotope rx demo and I've
watched with awe in a few sound design sessions with it's capabilities.
Thanks for your ideas. Will play around with them tomorrow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mg, it sounds like you really are good at what you do and your bar is set high to deliver stuff.

I lived in nyc my whole life basically and the community garden stuff around fort green or abc land all depend on noise from streets and directional quality of mics. even coney island is like that.

I bet you already have the best anyone could get from those environments, so don't beat yourself up... there are plenty of other people who will try to beat you up.... no need to do it yourself.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Salvo.  This is about doing as good a job as possible and maybe learning some new techniques.  I've been working in this business for over 40 years dealing with new and evolving technologies and still amazed at what can be done on a reasonably priced computer.  But I appreciate your perspective and you may be right that it's time to let it go.  You still living in NY?  I'm working out of a studio on the lower east side...  and just been hired to implement streaming at a performance space in the neighborhood.  crazy times.

Thanks everybody

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lived on 9th ( b-c) and then 10th ( c-d ) and 5th (2nd) near cop station. lived on 72nd and bway, 64th and bway, and once sat with some xmas tree salesman on the sidewalk near Lincoln Center, who was from canada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lived on washington place between mercer and greene, 25th between 2nd and third, 20th and 3rd and now in astoria a half block from the east river...  not a lot of places for 49 years... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, small world. very cool.

I got an apt. on 37th and bway in astoria when working on ransom at kaufman studios...right after that cosby took stage e ( largest stage ) for a couple years (different unions ) so my plan to be close to where I work kinda fizzled out.  hehe... I really miss the food in ny cause in MN. it's mostly corn dogs on a stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick google search (room tone sound effect library) provides any number of options

especially if there is a small budget.

Expanding on @Peru Bob 's thought.

Take that reversed sample and use the remix option in Audition.

To further hide it you could always frequency shift a few samples and combine.

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines