• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping video and adjusting size

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a fairly new user and I've spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out how to crop a video properly. I need to remove a portion of the frame. I applied the crop and got it situated on the part I want. Great. But I need the black parts gone now. Every guide I found says to click the zoom button, but that blows up the video to the original clip size. I do not want that. I want the video to be downsized to the exact size of what I've selected with the crop, no bigger. Can anyone advise how I can shrink it down so I only have the part of the frame I want, at it's natural size and not stretched to the original size of the entire frame?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Hi, I think the solution is pretty simple.

Like Kevin suggested, create a smaller sequence like 800 x800 and insert your video inside. Move it around with position properties and maybe scale. 

You have also the ability to crop when you export your video.Crop source.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kita,

This is a pretty common confusion, I'm afraid.

Start with what you need at the end. What kind of file do you need as a final result? HD 16:9 on YouTube? Instagram Stories? Facebook? Twitter? Tell us. Then, we can get you into the right Sequence to start with.

After you figure the final frame size, you can usually use the Scale and Position properties to move and scale your video frame accordingly to the content you want to expose and hide.

Crop itself will probably not help, I'm afraid. We'd have to see some screenshots if you need additional help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I'm looking to make a gif for twitter. I've played around with scale and position as well, but I can't seem to find a way to do what I want. I've attached a screenshot here - essentially I want to cut out most of the background and get a focus on the characters in the frame. Since it'll be a gif on twitter, I want it to be smaller anyway.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animated GIFs are more easily created and optimized in Photoshop. I would simply use Premiere Pro to export an image sequence to import into Photoshop. Do you want your crop to be widescreen or portrait for your aspect ratio? Twitter can handle either.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you crop something you make it smaller / reveal less of the image. If you want something underneath it, you put it on a lower track. Don't use the Zoom chkbox, use the Position and Scale controls under Video/Motion. You might be able to just use those depending on what you want. You can also use an Opacity Mask to do certain things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm looking to do is essentially remove a bunch of the background I don't need and have only one particular part in the end. I've attached a screenshot here - I want to crop it such that it's more focused on the characters. Position and scale seems to just move it around without actually removing the parts I want (I want the final video to be smaller in pixel by pixel size than the original without any zooming - this is what I seem not to be able to do)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kita,

You probably have to crank up the scale to at least 200%, and you lose some resolution there. A smaller sequence size is a better idea for you. How large is that sequence? Check Sequence > Sequence Settings.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning to think what I need to do simply isn't possible in this program. I just wanted to trim out parts of the video without losing resolution because I need the size to go down anyway. The frame size is 1920x1080. I thought I could just crop it down and have it be, for example, 1000x562, with no issues because I'm not zooming in or out, I'm just cutting out the rest of the frame. It's strange to me that this isn't a basic feature in the program (or maybe it's just well hidden).

I found an online tool that was able to do it in under a minute. Thank you for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think the solution is pretty simple.

Like Kevin suggested, create a smaller sequence like 800 x800 and insert your video inside. Move it around with position properties and maybe scale. 

You have also the ability to crop when you export your video.Crop source.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool is very difficult to use.

I rotate a video and the export output is still in portrait view.

How do I get the rotated video to also be output in landscape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check your sequence settings, perhaps you are working in a portrait sequence. If so, change the sequence settings to what you actually want for output. I'd suggest making a duplicate of the project first. In the OS, ie: windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines