• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5.5 won't tango with GTX1060

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to be a pain BUT...after 9 year I'm admitting defeat.

Some years ago I bought Premiere Pro CS5.5 and had a computer made specifically to run it.  That was the plan – but I have never seen the tell-tail yellow line on the timeline showing that rendering is by GPU. 

I began live studying Applied Physics and have worked in electronics R&D, spending the last 30 years as a regulatory consultant.

Now retired – write and create videos for pleasure, and I would really like to get CS5.5 working before I depart this life – what a sad milestone!!!

The computer I’m running CS5.5 I an Inteli7-2600K running at 3.4 GHz – it has 16 G of RAM and is dual boot Win 7 - 10. (In 2011 it was pretty high spec. In 17 I upgraded the Graphics to a GTX1060 – same difference.

TechPowerUp GPUI-Z22.33.0 reports the video card has BIOS 85.06.63.--.18. Drivers are up to date Aug 12,2020. NVIDA SLI – DirectML and Ray tracing are not supported.

OpenCL – CUDA – Vulkar – PhysX and OpenGL 4.6 are all checked.

I have updated to ‘CUDA supported’ txt file (not sure if this is actually read at any stage of boot and launch) – and check all the ‘full power’ – Performance flags I could find.

NADA on either Win7 or Win10.

I will be everso grateful for some pointers as to what I try next. (I have even considered slaching my wrists in the hope that a blood sacrifice is needed.)

Best regards

Gregg Kervill MIMgt, SMIEEE

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Sorry, but CS5.5 is now obsolete. In fact, it has been completely unsupported (meaning that it received no further updates whatsoever) since the release of the last-ever version of CS, CS6, in 2012. And it does not support any GPU architecture newer than the now-also-obsolete Fermi architecture for GPU acceleration (at least not out of the box). In fact, it does not make any use at all whatsoever of the additional CUDA features of newer GPUs such as Pascal.

In other words, old software does not

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but CS5.5 is now obsolete. In fact, it has been completely unsupported (meaning that it received no further updates whatsoever) since the release of the last-ever version of CS, CS6, in 2012. And it does not support any GPU architecture newer than the now-also-obsolete Fermi architecture for GPU acceleration (at least not out of the box). In fact, it does not make any use at all whatsoever of the additional CUDA features of newer GPUs such as Pascal.

In other words, old software does not mix well at all with newer hardware. In fact, with such a huge mismatch, Premiere Pro CS5.5's GPU acceleration will actually perform much slower and weaker on Turing than it does on the now-obsolete Tesla and Fermi architectures with an equal number of CUDA cores. And that is all due to the limitations of CS5.5 itself: It simply cannot utilize more than 512 CUDA cores - period. Your GTX 1060, however, has 1,280 CUDA cores. That means that if GPU acceleration even worked at all, CS5.5 will utilize less than half of your GPU at maximum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for you detailed reply – (decisions without information are a crap-shoot).

So please let me back up a bit.

If I had got my original CS5.5 software to work with the GTX1060 then I would only have got 50% (at best) utilization/performance.

So I infer that my attempts to use the latest drivers are working against me. Which implies that I need to turn back my computer to 2011/12 when it would have worked???

That would be a viable solution for me as I can commit one comp[uter to run graphics editing. (this would be either Windows 7 (circa 2012 – or perhaps the current(?) Ebuntu graphic editor).

Which opens another can-o’-worms to find 2011/12 drivers. I have searched the Nvidia site (and the disk that came with the 1060 card) without success.

I may be flogging a dead horse – but – as more people retire more of us will be forced to run older machines (as we have limited incomes and resources).

Any pointers to archived drivers would be much appreciated.

Gregg Kervill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gregg, 

You will not be able to find drivers that old that are compatible at all with your GTX 1060. That GPU was introduced only in 2016.

The only fix for that situation would be to hunt down for an old GeForce 400 or 500 series GPU. Otherwise, you will have to update everything, both hardware and software.

By the way, you will not be able to activate CS5.5 at all if you have to reinstall it. Adobe had permanently shut down all of the activation servers for all versions of Premiere Pro CS (as opposed to Creative Cloud), while all purchased copies of this software are locked. So, the only way to activate that software at all (albeit with extreme difficulty) would be to call Adobe technical support by telephone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Gregg I think RjL190365 is right :/, I am a collage trained computer technition and as much as its painful, the ages of hardware and software are just to far appart. Its like asking a cell phone to run on a landline. It was just never designed to do so. You might be able to get the graphics card running on your computer, but CS5.5 isn't going to have it. Not without a MAJOR fight.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to all that replied, directly and through the community.

I guess that I will need to set redering overnight while I investigate alternative software.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Gregg

Gregg Kervill MIIM SMIEEE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, this issue comes at a bad time for you. Software that runs on your 9-year-old CPU platform is becoming rarer and rarer. Newer editing software, such as the current version of BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve, will utilize your GPU to its fullest - but unfortunately requires (officially) a 4th-Gen (Haswell) or newer Intel Core CPU platform just to even run at all.

Your CPU platform is only a 2nd-Gen platform, which is (unfortunately) not officially supported at all by Intel for Windows 10. Note that its compatible drivers stopped at Windows 8.

And Windows 7 is now officially EOL. No further updates - not even security patches - had been issued since Microsoft officially ended all support for that OS this past January.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines