Highlighted

CS6: cable for capturing from a JVC camcorder

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a DV 4 pins cable to ADVC-55 a S-VIDEO or RCA 9MALE) the other side for capturing my video cassetes to Premiere C6, I didn't find anywhere on the net, I don't know how to find it, I have an AV cable but the resoltes are not very good quality, it capture the video only no sound, I presume that the DV cable is best quality for video and sound, if someone can help me to find this cable, on net I find several cable DV 4 pins IEEE 1394 but in the other side there have or FIREWIRE CONCTIONS, or USB but no RCA or S-VIDEO; or I find cable S-VIDEO with RCA, I can use them 

Topics

Editing, Hardware or GPU, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CS6: cable for capturing from a JVC camcorder

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a DV 4 pins cable to ADVC-55 a S-VIDEO or RCA 9MALE) the other side for capturing my video cassetes to Premiere C6, I didn't find anywhere on the net, I don't know how to find it, I have an AV cable but the resoltes are not very good quality, it capture the video only no sound, I presume that the DV cable is best quality for video and sound, if someone can help me to find this cable, on net I find several cable DV 4 pins IEEE 1394 but in the other side there have or FIREWIRE CONCTIONS, or USB but no RCA or S-VIDEO; or I find cable S-VIDEO with RCA, I can use them 

Topics

Editing, Hardware or GPU, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

Please do NOT add images via the "attach files" box, as you are then forcing everyone to DOWNLOAD the file to view it outside their browser. Drag/drop the image files directly ONTO your reply box so other users can see them without needing to download unknown strange files.
Thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DV cable is all you need. Premiere Pro gives you the option to capture only the video. You should check your settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know , I asked where can I find the matching cable, I didn't find any the DV cable what I find have USB on the other side and not S-VIDEO or RCA

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any problem with Premiere, I can capture my films, I'm very pleased with Premiere

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must patch FireWire to FireWire.  

Does your computer have FireWire or Thunderbolt?  

The 4-pin FireWire connector on your camcorder would patch to a 9-pin FireWire800 connector on your computer.  Or, to a 9-pin FireWire to Thunderbolt2 adapter (only Apple makes this adapter).  That may then need to go Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt3 (another adapter).  It's also possible to go 4-pin to 6-pin (FireWire400) if 6-pin is available on the computer side.

PCI FireWire cards, assuming your computer as a PCI slot) are getting harder to find.

FireWire is the best way to transfer your DV-NTSC tapes to your computer, capturing at DV-NTSC settings in Premiere Pro.

FireWire was standard on many Mac computers.  You could pick up a used Mac mini or iMac from just about any year as long as it still boots up and use iMovie to capture your tapes, then move the resulting clips over to your current computer.  If the used Mac is new enough to run macOS 10.13 or newer, you can install Premiere Pro on it and use that to capture your tapes.  You'll need 13GB per hour of footage.  Capturing to a ExFAT formatted drive will make moving the files to your computer easy.  Of course, I'm assuming your on a Windows-based computer.  If the Mac is so new that it only has Thunderbolt, you'll need the corresponding FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter(s).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed you're running Premiere Pro CS6.

You'll either need to add a FireWire card to your computer or go the Mac iMovie route.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have FireWire  card in my computer, I can conect directly into the firewire card without ADVC convertor and I will receive good quality capture with  Premiere Pro CS6.?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you'll get good quality with a DV capture in Premiere Pro CS6.  When you use a FireWire cable, it's called a digital to digital (or "d to d") transfer from tape.  The resulting DV-NTSC movie file on your hard drive is the exact same quality as the DV tape that the footage came from.

It's important to note that you want to edit this footage in a DV-NTSC Sequence.    Also, the footage is 480i60 with a non-sqaure pixel aspect ratio (PAR).  When it comes to exporting it for YouTube or mobile phones, you'll need to deinterlace it and conform it to square pixels.  Premiere Pro handles most of that for you; however, it may require some manual adjustments to presets.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not deinterlace or conform to ssquare pixels in the video link below. You can check the image quality to see if it looks decent.

https://youtu.be/dVLUxRkPMdA 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines