• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Much Slower than CS5.5

Participant ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Premiere Pro CS6 for Mac and moved an existing project from CS5.5.  The clips are all After Effects compositions, some with elaborate effects. I imported them into AE6 from AE5.5 prior to bringing them into CS6 so they would interact between AE6 with PP6 via Dynamic Link.

CS6 is painfully slow on my machine. Even just dragging a clip from the Project window to the timeline results in a spinning beachball that stays on screen for over a minute before allowing me to position the clip. Playing the timeline also takes forever. Rendering the work area is slow too -- and that's when it works. Some clips render for a while and then crash out with an "unknown" compiling error.

I'm running a Mac Pro from 2011, 6 Core, 32 GB RAM, stock ATI Radeon card, Raid-0 across 3 2TB 7200 RPM drives and a solid state 200MB drive for software and some scratch files. Latest versions of both OSX and Premiere Pro.

The reason I upgraded to CS6 was to gain speed. So far CS5.5, set up in pretty much in identical fashion, was way faster and less problematic.

Can anyone offer advice?  I've scoured this forum and the web and have come up empty.

Thanks!

Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone solve this problem on Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED FOR MAC!!!

My ealier OSX was Lion (10.7.x). Now I installed OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.x) and it didnt help at all. Then I uninstalled the adobe programs and reinstalled and it worked like a charm. Rendering is fast, no jittering while playback etc. Just like it should be. Earlier a editing friendly video clip (ProRes) with a title on top of it wouldnt play realy time. Now I have multiple heavy filters on the clip and it plays back real time without any problems. Like I said, just like it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can everyone with a performance problem try this and see if it works for them too? Thanks!

Thomas Mikel wrote:

SOLVED FOR MAC!!!

My ealier OSX was Lion (10.7.x). Now I installed OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.x) and it didnt help at all. Then I uninstalled the adobe programs and reinstalled and it worked like a charm. Rendering is fast, no jittering while playback etc. Just like it should be. Earlier a editing friendly video clip (ProRes) with a title on top of it wouldnt play realy time. Now I have multiple heavy filters on the clip and it plays back real time without any problems. Like I said, just like it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on Windows 7. Are you suggesting the same solution on Windows?

That is -- uninstalling all 17 or more Master collection programs and re-installing them?

I had much better performance with CS5.

Now in addition to the dismal preview rendering (which was great in CS5)  I'm even getting weird bright color screens instead of the image on video sequences where I've overlaid images with transparency over them.

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what to do, well at least what i do. When you have all the selected footage in the time line , there will be an opt under Sequence "Render Entire Work Area" , Once you do that your footage will have smooth playback. Let me know if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure about that. I just signed up for the Creative Cloud, downloaded Premier Pro, opened an old project and nothing but waiting.

First I thought I must have moved the source file, but I didn't it is just very slow. The preview is green screened or has a stwtic frame all the time.

I opened the same project on CS5.5 and it worked like a charm.

This tread was started 9 months ago, and the best advice Adobe can give is to reinstall the program.

It's not a $0.99 app, it should work.

So far CS6 looks like a downgrade for me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

First I thought I must have moved the source file, but I didn't it is just very slow. The preview is green screened or has a stwtic frame all the time.

I opened the same project on CS5.5 and it worked like a charm.

It's possible your video card driver isn't playing nice with CS6.  Try updating your video card driver to the latest version.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been following the thread on performance issues with CS 6 at playback/ general edit, audio dropping out...etc.  I did everything in the thread, including a reinstall.  A co-worker suggested setting in and out points in my sequence then rendering it.  It worked!  Kind of a pain, but it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked! Updated my software, and it's like I can actually use the programs again. RAM preview has improved and processing speed has improved. In After Effects at least. I have not tried in Premiere, but I imagine, it as well has improved.

Thanks SO much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 17 - Early 2011 - Premiere Pro hardware rendering is broken/too slow.  Software rendering works much better, but shouldn't be the case.  Just tossing in my support for a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1000 on the CS6 dissapointment list!! I find CS6 a pain to work with so far.

Scrubbing is way slower - up to the point where i have one project that i created in CS5.5 than wont scrub at all. it even take 20-30 seconds to show a frame preview on screen.

Another v annoying problem --> when playing the timeline  for some reason the sound stops playing for a few seconds and back to play and stop again- this is such frustrating problem!!!! it ocurrs regardless of the timeline been rendered or not. do i need a sound card instead of the on-board?

Also, when playing timeline the image stuters for a few frames...it's almost as if it was repeating the same frame a few times before continuing.

Any tips or hints before i go back to CS5.5??

My specs:

i7 980X W7 64 pro

12Gb RAM DDR3

GTX 480

SSD 120gb

thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 25.GHz Core i7 MBP late 2011 with latest OSX and 16GB of RAM.

Just bought CS6 expecting more after a glorious year of using CS5.5.

I HATE IT. Have had all of the problems listed above and more. With the program monitor choppiness, I actually have to quit out of the program and re-open to get it to resume normal playback. I am mostly working with 7D and HVX video files which I have never had any problems with in 5.5.

Other weird things that happen are in the project window. When I try to create a new bin I get the beach ball for 30 seconds to a minute. When I try to move clips from one bin to another, more beach ball.

When I quit the software, it closes the window and then hangs, forcing me to force-quit to close out.

What's the deal? My MBP is a beast and has no problems running the ENTIRE 5.5 creative suite all at once with minimal lag. I do particle effects in AE5.5 and preview playback at 1/2 resolution at almost full speed...

So why is Premiere CS6 sucking so badly? Honestly other than the Warp Stabilizer plug-in (which is AMAZING), there's no reason for me to use it. I'm switching back to 5.5 until Adobe can work these things out and I am lamenting it's suckiness to everyone who asks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version and the latest MacBook Pro 15" everything maxed out and Premiere still has a lot of issues with importing footage.   It takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to create a new Bin.   That is just stupid, to create a folder it takes a minute but when I hit spacebar video footage plays back immediately?    Buggy at best.

Oh and if I import multiple folders it crashes premiere if there are RAW CR2 images in the folder.  Premiere sucks at indexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need a reinstall. It should not take that long merely to create a bin. Can you try that?

cornelius_3 wrote:

I have the latest version and the latest MacBook Pro 15" everything maxed out and Premiere still has a lot of issues with importing footage.   It takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to create a new Bin.   That is just stupid, to create a folder it takes a minute but when I hit spacebar video footage plays back immediately?    Buggy at best.

Oh and if I import multiple folders it crashes premiere if there are RAW CR2 images in the folder.  Premiere sucks at indexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a complete reinstall of premiere and encore. Nothing has changed, I even reset all of my settings, what a was it will be to get them back again.   The program worked perfectly until the last update.

After the reinstall I was only able to update the system from 6.0.0 to 6.0.2  Then I had to Re-enable Mercury / CUDA settings and it re-encoded all of my Media Cache (Generating Peak Files, etc). It may be that updating from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 causes the Project settings Renderer to switch from Mercury Playback CUDA to OPENCL or Software.

And after all of that, CS 6.0.2 still moves terribly slow when importing a file.   Click File>New>Universal Counter and then wait 5 mins for Premiere to create one,  this is B.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also not normal.  Something is wrong with your system.  The trick will be finding what so it can be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only recent changes outside of adobe updates was adding the missing encore content, and it was the content recommended by adobe for cs6 users awaiting their latest content release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

My friend figured this out. The slowness has to do with the new "OpenCL" operation. I am not super techy, but thats whats slowing it down.

Go to Premiere: Project> Project Settings> General > Video Rendering and Playback and change it from OpenCL to Software Only.

This should fix the lagging you seem to be getting. Let me know if this fixes most peoples problems.

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried the above, my project setting is already "Mercury playback engine software only" and it is grayed out, no changes allowed!

I am on a Mac Pro with latest OS, 2x2.8GHz quad-core Intel Xeon processors, with 14GB of memory, shouldn't be crawling like a snail doing a rendering of a tiny 5 minute clip. (says it will take 22 minutes!)

so, not good for solving my problem.

thanks for trying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add to this.  I am a first time user of Adobe products coming from Final Cut Pro 7 on a 2011 Imac with 32GB ram a 3.4Ghz i7  and   AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB.  I have the same issues Everyone else is experiencing.  Particularly when I add after effects projects to my timeline or when I add certain effects to my timeline like magic bullet looks.  Now I would expect some slow down from looks as when I render magic bullet looks in final cut it can take 4 or 5 minutes but with premiere pro it takes 30 minutes.  It's rediculous.  When rendering a 6 minute video with 3 looks effects and 3 ae timelines it takes 4-6 hours to render.  I also get the issues at times with the red wheel when applying major effects and I have to sit and wait or otherwise gt a crash.  There are great features using adobe from final cut but these bugs ruin it for me.  I've now done 12 6 minute videos in premiere and have consistant horrible and unworkable render times.  I'm going back to final cut unless adobe can figure this out.  Rendering a 6 minute mp4 just shouldn't take 4-6 hours no matter what effects you are using.  In final cut it takes 30 minutes.  Adobe, this is embarresing, and I hope to see a fix for all of your users in this thread who are experiencing these things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with Premiere CS6. Has anyone solved it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't beleive I am saying this but I am actually starting to hate the program. I am a long time user, since 1997 when it was just Premiere 4, way before "CS" and this is the slowest version ever. It is way too sluggish. Unfortunately I upgraded from CS5 because it was supposed to be faster... (I had quoted the ad material but decided not to be a total jerk.)

I have the same hardware as CS5 with the same settings and there is no comparison. Unfortunately, I started two of my biggest projects of the year with CS6 and totally regret doing so. I am sure that Adobe will eventually fix this but how long must we suffer?

Yes, I filed a bug report. No, I am not trying to start trouble, I just need a speedy functional NLE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you.  I just need something that works.  There is a HUGE difference in performance between Bridge 5.1 and Bridge 6.0 (and not in the positive direction we'd hope for).

Come onnnnn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im experiencing the exact same issues, slow sluggish, unresponsive, major delay in play back.  And Ive tried this on 3 different mac computers.  1 imac 32 gig ram, another iMac 16gig and a mac book pro 8 gig,  I know its not my computers, because Ive had non of these issues with cs5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone - I've written othis forum that I was having similar 'laggy' performance issues when installing CS6 on a 2012 Macbook Pro. After installing it on my personal 2011 Macbook Pro it seems to be working flawlessly. (both machines now have CS5.5 & CS6 running on them)

Not sure what's causing the descrepancy, but I'd definitely recommend at least trying a complete re-install...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines