• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctting out a moving character from the background of a clip and superimposing on top of another clip

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I screen-recorded two videos, namely V1 and V2. So I only need the character( not the background) from V1 and superimpose on top of V2. BOTH clips must be running with their respective effects and animations.

How do I do that?

Please it's urgent.

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Masking or rotoscopping in Ae.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for such a fast reply, however I'd love to have you explain the process thoroughly, I'm kinda a beginner and having quite some trouble lately.

I keep V1 on top of of V2

I select the video(V1) I want to cut out the character from, then head over to "effects controls."

Under the [ 'fx Opacity properties'] I click on the pen tool and click on the clock beside 'Mask path'.

After that I draw a rough boundary around the character and join the initial and final POINTS; To fasten up, I did the motion tracking and the keyframes for Mask path get set accordingly as Premier maintains the outline for me throughout the video

What to do next? How do I cut off the selected character around whom I just drew some blue lines?

Besides the background of the video (V1) doesn't turn black after I join the initial and final points.

Please explain.

By @Ann Bens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes we ( people in general ) imagine what we want and want to make it happen but it simply can't be done with our resources and expertise, etc. Let's say you wanna fly off the roof of your house but everytime you jump off the roof flapping your arms like a bird you end up going to the hospital... 

my suggestion is to think of alternative ways to accomplish close to what you want and you can then solve the problem.

For example, I had a script in mind that required shooting a brownstone in NYC. I hunted around MN. twin cities for a location ( exterior shot ) and found out there is nothing here like that. At first I thought I was dead in the water, but then realized I could use a neighbors condo with text to ' pretend' it was basically the same thing.... namely, THE LOCATION.

in your case you might be able to rethink the edit and do a PIP type thing to show the character you want running around, but also show the other game footage where it kinda makes sense ???

don't get stuck on imagination or techical stuff...keep thinking around the box you built yourself with the initial idea.

good luck

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the text sells nyc

the radio ( a news station in nyc ) sells it too.

the end shot of bridge traffic sells it again...

trust me, this is not what I originally imagined...but you have to live with what you can do.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ann suggested, Rotoscoping in After Effects is the best option:

https://www.adobe.com/in/products/aftereffects/rotoscoping.html?ef_id=CjwKCAjw2ZaGBhBoEiwA8pfP_uYoQY...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG I'm grateful to you all. Now I know where I messed up earlier. Thanks a bunch guys.

Fix: I used to select the mask(2)'s  mask path and all; instead I should have used the mask path under mask(1). I realized it was a personal error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines