Highlighted

CUDA playback missing on old GTX 485M but needed as a backup. Installed latest CUDA, but no joy.

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

as the title says, I've got a backup machine that I need to start using as my current one has so many issues, I need to get it fixed. It's got an old GTX 485M card in there (I know 😕 ) and I couldn't understand why timeline playback was forcing to software renderer.  From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's my CUDA was long out of date, but I've now installed Visual Studio and the latest CUDA update (11), but NVIDIA system info is showing CUDA 9.1.84 driver is being used. I'm on the latest driver for the card, but it's quite old as I guess it's legacy. Is there any way of working around this?

Am about to give up but if anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Toby

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

No, there's no way to use that card. Nvidia stopped updating the drivers for that generation of gear some years back, and Premiere doesn't support the older hardware either.

Neil

TOPICS
Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CUDA playback missing on old GTX 485M but needed as a backup. Installed latest CUDA, but no joy.

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

as the title says, I've got a backup machine that I need to start using as my current one has so many issues, I need to get it fixed. It's got an old GTX 485M card in there (I know 😕 ) and I couldn't understand why timeline playback was forcing to software renderer.  From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's my CUDA was long out of date, but I've now installed Visual Studio and the latest CUDA update (11), but NVIDIA system info is showing CUDA 9.1.84 driver is being used. I'm on the latest driver for the card, but it's quite old as I guess it's legacy. Is there any way of working around this?

Am about to give up but if anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Toby

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

No, there's no way to use that card. Nvidia stopped updating the drivers for that generation of gear some years back, and Premiere doesn't support the older hardware either.

Neil

TOPICS
Error or problem, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Neil told you, your GPU is now completely obsolete. Nvidia had already terminated all driver development and support for all Fermi GPUs in 2018. Adobe had absolutely no choice but to require hardware that's still under mainstream (not legacy) support at the time of the major version's release just to be supported at all. That means a driver that no longer supports older hardware at all.

In the case of all 14.x versions of Premiere Pro, CUDA 10.2 or later support is now REQUIRED just to be supported at all. The last released driver for Fermi was 391.35, which only supported CUDA 9.1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, thank you both so much for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it as I have been pulling out my hair trying to find a workaround for this. I read somewhere that I could reset my Premiere to 2018, would that at least work if I could save the files from my other machine? Having said that, 2018 doesn't seem an option through CC any more, but maybe there's a direct download on the site.  One more question if you don't mind, please. On my main machine (GTX 1070) rendering and playback has been getting slower and more difficult, even playing H264 files with no effects brought onto the timeline is dropping frames, so there's something seriously wrong. Are there any diagnostic tools to work out what's happening. Many thanks again, Toby

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe made changes to its app availability in May 2019. Adobe now restricts app availability to the two newest major versions. This means that you cannot obtain any version of Premiere Pro earlier than the last released version of 2019 (13.1.5) any more.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
typeb LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the update. Disappointing news but at least I can save time looking for a workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0