• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dark To Light Grading with HSL Secondary

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to change the colour of a carpet from dark blue to light pink.

In the Correction section in HSL Secondary I was only able to change it to a dark pink. I started again from blue and increased the luminance of the carpet's highlights, midtones, and shadows. That allowed me to change it to light pink.

However, when I pressed play there was much more noise and pixelation in the carpet than there was with either the original blue or the dark pink (which looked natural). Is the dark blue carpet just too dark to make light pink or is there a solution?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the image? That's a pretty intense color correction, probably more than a simple color correction can handle. You could try adjusting the noise and blur settings, but likely, you'll wanna mask out that layer if it's simple enough in Premiere, or if more complex movement then in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here's the image. There are also white spots in the carpet, which I'd like to keep ideally.  

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 18.43.09.png

The shot is static so it sounds like it might be do-able in Premier. But how do I make the carpet light pink with the use of a mask?

Thank you,

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going from a dark blue to a light pink is a massive correction. Think about simply the dark to light ... in that dark blue, unless you've got 422 media that's intraframe at least ... 444 better ... but very unlikely ... you've got significant digital noise but you won't see it.

Simply lighten that dramatically, and now you'll see more of it.

Now force a major hue shift, and the hue range of the noise is going to become very prominent.

Replacing that rather than forcing the current pixels to change would be the far better alternative, and yes, probably a job in AfterEffects by someone who knows how to bend Ae around a bit.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I understand. 

What should I do in After Effects? I'm new to the software.

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking that to light pink ... woa, yea, that's a change.

You might try getting a mask on it, and using "replace color" in Premiere. Possibly maybe it might work ... ish.

Or you might need to go to the similar tools in Ae, which are far more powerful and capable. And for that, ask on the Ae forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or even better for your mental health, hire someone who knows AE.  If you decide to try and figure it out, have some patience and persistence.  That's how I've learned alot of stuff with massive hits to my mental health on the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neil explained it perfectly.
The more you lighten the more noise you will get.
One great solution is a neat plugin called "Neat Video Denoiser" (pun intended) It's not very expensive but it is very heavy on the system. so it depends on the duration of the clip, if there is hard movement, etc. Either you work with Lumetri and Neat, or you go the compositing route with AE, which open doors to many possibilities and workflows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines