Highlighted

Desktop pulling from iCloud first for files

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like my video files are on iCloud first, then desktop, and then the video files--where I'm keeping my Premiere working files. Is this a problem or do I need to turn iCloud off? I didn't set it up this way but just saw that's where some of my video files are first. If I need to disable iCloud is there a way to do that so Premiere will not pull from it?  Thanks for any advice.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.44.41 PM.png

I saw this scary message on the internet when someone disabled their iCloud....😳

"I was editing a video in Adobe Premiere Pro and for some reason, the files on my desktop were not allowed to be imported into my project because they had to be "downloaded" first. These files were on my desktop which was connected to the iCloud Drive. This got to be annoying though because downloading was taking forever. My solution then was to turn off my iCloud Drive. It warned me that turning off my iCloud would delete my files, so I clicked the button to make a copy, but that was taking too long too. Then my solution was to just simply move the files from my desktop (where the iCloud Drive is) to a folder that is not connected to iCloud Drive. Then I just turned off the iCloud Drive and my files are GONE. I NEED THEM BACK. Does anyone PLEASE have any advice? I keep ALL my files on my desktop! I am never turning the iCloud Drive back on because it causes too many problems for me."

TOPICS
Editing, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Desktop pulling from iCloud first for files

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like my video files are on iCloud first, then desktop, and then the video files--where I'm keeping my Premiere working files. Is this a problem or do I need to turn iCloud off? I didn't set it up this way but just saw that's where some of my video files are first. If I need to disable iCloud is there a way to do that so Premiere will not pull from it?  Thanks for any advice.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.44.41 PM.png

I saw this scary message on the internet when someone disabled their iCloud....😳

"I was editing a video in Adobe Premiere Pro and for some reason, the files on my desktop were not allowed to be imported into my project because they had to be "downloaded" first. These files were on my desktop which was connected to the iCloud Drive. This got to be annoying though because downloading was taking forever. My solution then was to turn off my iCloud Drive. It warned me that turning off my iCloud would delete my files, so I clicked the button to make a copy, but that was taking too long too. Then my solution was to just simply move the files from my desktop (where the iCloud Drive is) to a folder that is not connected to iCloud Drive. Then I just turned off the iCloud Drive and my files are GONE. I NEED THEM BACK. Does anyone PLEASE have any advice? I keep ALL my files on my desktop! I am never turning the iCloud Drive back on because it causes too many problems for me."

TOPICS
Editing, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a Mac person. I have no idea how to get your files but turning on iCloud seems a logical step.

But on a side note make a habit on putting your files in a dedicated folder on a dedicated real video drive. That not being ICloud or Desktop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 2
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not mix iCloud with Premiere Pro. Sounds like a great idea but only causes problems (I am cleaning up an iCloud mess myself right now).

I believe you must first move all items you are editing with off iCloud. I moved them to my media drive. Then, I shut the service off. For me, that's my docs folder and my desktop.

Not sure why the user lost their files they moved off iCloud. That shouldn't happen. Try a test first, OK?

Link to a similar solution another customer was having: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/working-with-icloud-files-in-premiere-pro/td-p/10932294

You can use iCloud for some things, just nothing that has to do with your Creative Cloud apps. If you use the Photos app, that may even be an issue so beware.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 1
ACAREN LATEST
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me with feedback. I appreciate it. I've been told to work off of an SSD like this WD. I didn't realize how pricy they are. I found that when I was editing originally on a WD Easystore (12tb) my Premiere would freeze consistently. I believe iCloud got messed in there too somehow.

Someone told me then to work from the desktop and move all my files from the external drive to the desktop. Premiere seemed cranky at that too and wanted relinking-and also iCloud got in the way.

So my current thought is to move all working video files to an SSD that I buy and then turn off iCloud as you suggested. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0