Determining color space of video in Premiere

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Premiere tell me what color space the footage I am editing was shot in, i.e. - clog-2 or slog or whatever raw format cameras can shoot in?  This probably is an obvious fix with metadata in the bins but I'm just not making the connection.

I've run into the need to figure this out before and I'm not always able to talk to the DP or use the camera's software (for example Sony Catalyst).

TOPICS
Editing, Formats, How to, Import, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Determining color space of video in Premiere

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Premiere tell me what color space the footage I am editing was shot in, i.e. - clog-2 or slog or whatever raw format cameras can shoot in?  This probably is an obvious fix with metadata in the bins but I'm just not making the connection.

I've run into the need to figure this out before and I'm not always able to talk to the DP or use the camera's software (for example Sony Catalyst).

TOPICS
Editing, Formats, How to, Import, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check what the file properties say ... in the bin, select a clip, Properties ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that just gives me basic info like codec, frame rate, duration etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think MediaInfo would help with that, but I'm on my tablet and don't have the link available. I'll try to get to a computer to get the link for that in not too long.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MediaInfo shows color spaces for some format/codec combos, but not for others.

Howevever ... in Premiere, Project panel, go to List view. Right-click on any column header, click the Metadata display box.

Then go down the options to Dynamic Media and select the Video Color Space option, and probably the Video Pixel Depth option right above it. They'll appear on the far right of the columns, you can either scroll over to see them, or drag them farther left if you wish to see them easier. Then save that Project panel view as a preset.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0