• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Did Premiere Pro stop supporting .scc files?

Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export captions I made in Premiere Pro v15. The videos and Adobe support pages say that at export I should see a .scc file (in addition to the .mcc .xml and .srt) in the dropdown menu but I'm not seeing it. The .srt files I downloaded are okay, but as I understsand it, the .scc file will keep the formating I put into the caption tracks. (The .srt files with Keep SRT Styling check box turned on looked really bad.)

When I opened the Captioning Window I selected C2-708. Is this the reason that I can't see the .scc files? 

Is it possible to reset my captions so that I can get the .scc files? 

Thank you,

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

In PR 2021, just right click in the caption track header area (e.g. over the 708 name), pick "Track Settings," and change the CEA-708 to CEA-608. You will now see .scc as one of the options.

In my quick test, a position change was respected. Font color appeared to be used, but I could not tell if it would handle multiple changes. Background style appeared to be correct, but with the same style applied to all captions. I will try to test further, but you will also need to do your own tests. Rep

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

My Youtube settings in the video player (Settings -> Subtitles -> Options) show “Video override” as “On” (“Allow for a different caption style if specified by the Video”). To get to that setting, you must first select one of the style parameters – e.g. Font Color. The override setting applies to all the options in that group (white, red, blue, etc), but not to other parameters (Font Family, Font Size, Background Opacity, etc). The override “On” appears to be the default, but a user could change

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.scc does not support 708, only 608. What is your final use going to be?

The documentation lists scc as an export format, but they are not addressing any limitations. There are many, and this is one of them.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YouTube. I'm exporting to YouTube. I'm most interestesed in having the captions appear in specific places in the images more than the formatting of the text. So for YouTube, will the .scc captions keep the same placement? Can I change the format in PP or do I need to redo them? 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PR 2021, just right click in the caption track header area (e.g. over the 708 name), pick "Track Settings," and change the CEA-708 to CEA-608. You will now see .scc as one of the options.

In my quick test, a position change was respected. Font color appeared to be used, but I could not tell if it would handle multiple changes. Background style appeared to be correct, but with the same style applied to all captions. I will try to test further, but you will also need to do your own tests. Report back: you may get to it before I do!

In my test, I uploaded to Youtube, then added the scc file in the Subtitles setting. The position changes did NOT appear in the preveiw, only when I published subtitles and viewed the movie in regular playback.

I was using grid positions only, not the x/y values. The x/y may be possible in some format. I do not know if .scc will do so.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Stan, you're amazing!

I'll test this out when I get home this evening and post. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Youtube settings in the video player (Settings -> Subtitles -> Options) show “Video override” as “On” (“Allow for a different caption style if specified by the Video”). To get to that setting, you must first select one of the style parameters – e.g. Font Color. The override setting applies to all the options in that group (white, red, blue, etc), but not to other parameters (Font Family, Font Size, Background Opacity, etc). The override “On” appears to be the default, but a user could change it. I do not see a setting for position.

In my second test, the Youtube player appears to follow the PR exported scc for position, and font color, but did not follow background color or background opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stan. 

Sorry, I intened to reply sooner but work life happens in between posts. I just reuploaded on Youtube and, as you said, YouTube kept postion (which is the most important for me) and kept the background (which I didn't want -- but that's okay, I'm grateful I was able to covert the captions per your advice). 

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reporting back! Glad this helped.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines