• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

difference between edit subclip: convert to masterclip and just duplicate the clip in the bin

Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just wondering if anybody's actually using the "convert to masterclip" option in the edit subclip dialog and am I'm missing something or is it the same as duplicating a clip in a bin?  I'm working my way thru a linkedin learning tutorial "Premiere Pro 2020 Essential Training" to see what if anything I've been missing since I basically just figured stuff out on the fly (having done the same with avid media composer and finalcutpro 1 -7).  I disagree with a lot of workflow choices in the tutorial and have found a few mistakes but sometimes I'm just puzzled as to why to use certain features...

thanks

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E.g. you deleted the original file from your project and only have a subclip with restricted boundaries you can restore it to its full length by making it into a masterclip with new bounderies. I dont see much avantage with these subclips. Never use them.

Now with the new Scene edit detection it is somewhat different.

I have not seen Ess training 2020 yet. Seen previous versions though but there were some questionable workflows. I see these tutorials targeted at beginners and not advanced users who have set their own workflow over time.

We have saying in Holland: many roads lead to Rome. A metaphor for the endless possibilities to achieve your goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so deleting a clip does not delete a subclip sourced from that clip...  good to know although I don't use subclips a lot and rarely delete anything from my project.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main use of converting subclip to Masterclip is simply to get away from the original clip's Master Clip values.

Why?

Maybe you want to color this differently, or do something else than is done with the original clip.

Now, you can still use the Master Clip controls in the ECP to apply things across all uses of any sections of a clip ... except for that section that is in a subclip you converted to "Master Clip" status.

That subclip won't be changed by any adjustment to the Master Clip of the original clip.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but doesn't that also hold true for just duplicating the clip?  that's what the Linkedin Tutorial said... for whatever that's worth...  and just checked it and duplicating the clip does the same thing...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicating the clip duplicates the entire clip ... setting a subclip to it's own Master Clip reference sets that section as a clip within the app.

Not ... exactly ... the same thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One major use of turning subclips to individual Master clips is for interview work. Then every subclip can be named individually, and organized in bins as you wish. And of course, searched. Without concern for how else any part of the clip is being treated in the project.

There was a user on here a month or two back for whom finding this was a massive help in his workflow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but subclips can be named anything you want...  and organized in bins.   or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any time anyone changes any Master Clip references, or deletes the Master clip, then the subclips are changed also. Ergo, save subclips as Master Clips may save tons of recreation of work. Tedious recreation of work. 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines