• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Directory access error. Please make sure your user directory isn't locked.

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just tried to open Premiere Pro CC but got this error message this was working fine not long ago. I have tried photoshop and seems to work fine.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 00.26.15.png

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

This error will come up when your Documents folder and/or its contents (including the Adobe folder) may not be modifiable. Make sure that you have permission access to make modifications in the Documents folder and all of it's sub folders.

For example, go to Documents  and open the Adobe folder. Try to add a file to the Adobe folder and Premiere Pro folder. If you get a warning that you don't currently have permission to access this folder, then you need to change the permissions so that you have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error will come up when your Documents folder and/or its contents (including the Adobe folder) may not be modifiable. Make sure that you have permission access to make modifications in the Documents folder and all of it's sub folders.

For example, go to Documents  and open the Adobe folder. Try to add a file to the Adobe folder and Premiere Pro folder. If you get a warning that you don't currently have permission to access this folder, then you need to change the permissions so that you have rights to modify these folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I've confirmed I have permissions to access the Adobe folder and contained documents, but I don't have a Premiere Pro folder at all in the Documents folder after installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this and I am the sole admin user on my iMac and it still is not letting me into premiere pro and gives me the "Directory Access Error" message.

Is there any other suggestions ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I was having this problem as well, and here is a solution that might work!

I went to the adobe document file and right-clicked and selected "Get info"

Once in 'get info' I went down to "sharing and permissions"

I then changed all to 'Read & Write' (it might prompt you to input your admin password)

Once all were changed to 'Read & Write' I went to the gear icon on the bottom and selected 'apply to enclosed items'

Once this was done I was able to open up AP no problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this EXACT problem on my MacBook Pro.

"Just tried to open Premiere Pro CC but got this error message this was working fine not long ago. I have tried photoshop and seems to work fine."

Photoshop Opens no problem. However, Premiere Pro CC will not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you be more specific about this ? i tried to open the premiere pro CC 2018 and also got this same error, i also using indesign, ilustrator and photoshop and all ot them are working fine, only the premiere pro giving me this type of error. (i'm an iMac user in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Team.

This error is due to Premiere Pro. Please admit it and help us to get solved this as I could not use since it since 2 months.

I did all steps as you've explained but no chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem because I enabled Ransomware protection in Windows Security. Check Windows notification centre (next to date/time in taskbar) and look for "Unauthorized changes blocked". Or go to Settings > Windows Security > Virus & Thread Protection > Protection history (under Current threats). You need to allow Premiere to write to your folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You that are having this problem - are you using the ICloud drive for your document folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been on a chat with Adobe help with this same situation with Rush.  I had changed all the permissions in the Documents folder to give me read and write access and could still not get it to work.  I noticed the Adobe folder in "Documents" had an arrow in the bottom left corner saying is was a shortcut to the original folder which is in "Applications". I copied the original folder in "Applications" and saved it into the "Documents" folder and deleted the shortcut Adobe folder. It worked!! Rush now loads everytime. Not sure if this will work with all the issues here, but it did fix mine! Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue but on a Windows 10 Pro laptop. Anyone knows why?

My folder permissions are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also discovered this same issue on my Windows 10 laptop today.

Roughly following the advice on this site, I opened Windows Explorer and found the folders that Adobe Creative Cloud created when installing Premiere Pro CC (in my case, under: This PC > (C:) > Program Files > Adobe), right-clicked that Adobe main folder, chose Properties, clicked the Security tab, clicked on my name in the top half of the window to highlight it, clicked the Edit button, again selected my name in the top half and then marked the "Full Control" checkbox in the bottom half.  I then OK'd all of the way out again.

That has now worked, and I can now launch Premiere Pro CC at last!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing permissions on various directories and files as suggested above, but I was still unable to get past the error popup.  In the end I just right clicked on the application and selected the option to run as an administrator.  Going to assume this is a Windows 10 security issue.  Unsure how the Mac users get past this issue, perhaps there is a similar way to run an application with elevated rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple things that might help are Step 3D, 3G and 3H below.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about the same problem. The folder in which I keep my film files is not shown at all in the media browser of Premiere Pro. For a week ago I did not have that problem (my laptop had a repair last week, but that can't be the problem). And although the footage saved into the projrect is perfectly alright, the images cannot be found. And like said I cannot find the path / folder at all.

And as mentioned in other comments, with PS or LR I don't have that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue on Windows 10.

I've recently bought the entire package, and this was one of the main things I was after. I tried uninstalling everything, reinstalling, checking the access and security permissions, and I just cannot fathom why it refuses to open. It's giving the the directory error each and every time.

It would be helpful if Adobe could find a fix!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just encountered this error and after troubleshooting we realized it was due to the copy protection on a set of third-party audio plugins from Izotope. We had to uninstall the plugins and Premiere worked normally again. There was apparently an incompatibility with the copy protection on the plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which iZotope plugin does effect the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if you run as administrator, it will run. If this user isn't supposed to have administrative rights (or domain rights), then you can use an application called Application Tool Kit to only run this particular software. I've tried the other things suggested and they didn't work, but running it as admin worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only run as administrator and I still have that problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys all you need to do for this is right click the Documents folder and click on properties/security click your account, click edit, and allow full access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, if only was that easy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this on my macbook pro.  Tried uninstalling and installed creative cloud and premiere and that did not fix it.   I've checked the file info on the Documents folder and set it read+write for everyone.  Still get the error.  Photoshop and other CC apps work - just premiere.  Works fine when I install on my Windows 10 box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone encountering this error who isn't helped by adjusting permissions on the documents folder, and who is running a machine with an Intel graphics chipset, try the following solution:

Update the Intel graphics driver.

I was working with an enterprise customer on this issue and after trying every method of verifying and modifying the customer's permissions, they resolved the issue with a graphics driver update. This was affecting multiple HP Elitedesk G4 PCs.

Best regards,

Chad Baker | Enterprise Support | Adobe Pro Video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines