Highlighted

Dissolves behaving strangely

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I’m editing a project in Premiere 2020 that has a lot of dissolves between mp4’s from a variety of sources. However, when a dissolve starts, the clip being faded into is very dim until the transition finishes, and then the clip jumps to its actual brightness level the next frame. It even happens when a dissolve is happening under a clip at full opacity (even though the top clip isn’t transparent and is separate from the dissolve, it’s still dim until the dissolve ends).

Every dissolve transition is behaving this way. I’ve tried re-encoding the footage to ProRes, but the behavior is the same, which makes me think it’s Premiere and the dissolve effects themselves.

Has anyone else run into this and knows of a fix?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Dissolves behaving strangely

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I’m editing a project in Premiere 2020 that has a lot of dissolves between mp4’s from a variety of sources. However, when a dissolve starts, the clip being faded into is very dim until the transition finishes, and then the clip jumps to its actual brightness level the next frame. It even happens when a dissolve is happening under a clip at full opacity (even though the top clip isn’t transparent and is separate from the dissolve, it’s still dim until the dissolve ends).

Every dissolve transition is behaving this way. I’ve tried re-encoding the footage to ProRes, but the behavior is the same, which makes me think it’s Premiere and the dissolve effects themselves.

Has anyone else run into this and knows of a fix?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 28, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long shot. Do you have enough frames for handles at the end of the outgoing clip? It sounds like the incoming clip is dissolving with black.

Another possibility is any effects you might have on the clips that could affect their brightness or opacity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. Yes, the outgoing clips have enough frames for the transition. And also, this issue happens when a dissolve is happening under a clip that has no opacity effects and is separate from the dissolve (aka the clip is covering an old transition on the above video track, but the dissolve glitch is creating the dimming issue on the above clip anyway until the dissolve ends).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont stack cross dissolves: nest the clips first then add one transition.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood, sorry. This happens when the two clips are nested as well. Also, strangely, this seems to happen when one clip is above another even without a dissolve. The top clip will dim until the one under it ends. So this issue in fact seems to be when clips of any kind are layered, whether that's across video tracks or in one track with a dissolve.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn of Composite in linear color in the sequence settings.

See how that goes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. That seems to have sorta worked. The clip's brightness remains consistent when the dissolve ends, but it remains in its dimmed state instead of being at its full brightness.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card

and what are your source properties and sequence settings?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

It's a 2016 MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.5. 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. Premiere is 2020 version 14.4.0 (build 38).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When dissolves behave weirdly, I resort to adding keyframes to the opacity in the effects control window. They're more controlable than dissolves.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0