• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Pr utilize the GPU for rendering?

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that in first export, Pr is using the full extent of my CPU and none of my GPU. Is that normal and will is there settings for using the GPU? 

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

It sounds like you are currently using an old(er) version of Premiere Pro to begin with - specifically, judging by the complete lack of an indication between hardware encoding and software encoding, you must be using a version of Premiere Pro older than 12.1 (the early 2018 versions), which did not support hardware H.264 encoding at all.

In other words, your installed version of Premiere Pro is now seriously outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kelly,

Sorry for the confusion. GPU interaction with the export depends on a number of things, like export format, the effects you used on export, if there were any GPU accelerated effects appled, etc. We need to know more info about your system, media, and export settings to make a judgement call on that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NP

Here is my rig configuration. 

kellyy99042662_0-1608780742130.png

Is there a log that would give you the information about the media and export settings or will that all need to be entered manually. 

For media, my clips were .mp4's. Didn't get any further about adding stills and such. I wanted to see how the export function would work first. A little disappointed that you need to have Adobe Media Encoder to render projects. Never worked with a program that wasn't self contained before. 

What do you need as far as settings? I was just trying to use the YT 1080p HD settings. 

kellyy99042662_1-1608781314673.png

Thought it was strange that the preferences were talking about Intel h.264 since I don't have anything intel in my rig. Just AMD, MSI and Nvidia.

kellyy99042662_2-1608781504616.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get beyond like 15-20% done and the program crashes everytime I try to export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to update your nvidia; you present driver is from july 2020.

Most recent one: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/167762/en-us

Check the project settings and see what Preview and Rendering is set to. Should be on MPE hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are currently using an old(er) version of Premiere Pro to begin with - specifically, judging by the complete lack of an indication between hardware encoding and software encoding, you must be using a version of Premiere Pro older than 12.1 (the early 2018 versions), which did not support hardware H.264 encoding at all.

In other words, your installed version of Premiere Pro is now seriously outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro can use the IGPU (certain Intel CPUs with Quick Sync) and certain dedicated GPUs for rendering H.264 as well as special effects like a picture in picture, color correction, motion blur etc. GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding are two different things and must be setup correctly. The video below might be helpful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU&feature=emb_logo

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy's point is valid only for newer versions of Premiere Pro. If you do not have an indication of hardware encoding (like in your screenshot above for the older, pre-2018 version of Premiere Pro), then you will be permanently stuck with software-only encoding as long as you continue to use that version of Premiere Pro regardless of which CPU and GPU that you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines