• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Premiere and After Effects Have a Memory Leak?

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7, 2013 Mac Pro, 64 GB RAM

Premiere Pro 14.8

After Effects 17.6

I'm not sure which point release this began to happen, but I now constantly run out of system memory and have to force-quite the apps. My memory was set to keep 15 GB of RAM for the rest of my system. I just uppded that to 25 GB to other apps. Same result. I just did a test where I opened Premiere, did NOT open a project, and watched the memory usage with Activity Monitor. It started at 700+ MB. with a couple of minutes it had risen to 1.2 GB. From there, if left alone, it will continue to climb. I had left it open since last night and this morning, it was up to 156 GB. Yikes! Also, even without an memory warning, if I just quit Premerie, it will hang and show "Application Not Responding," but the memory will still creep up.

Did another test. My Mac at the office does not display this behavior. That Mac is running Catalina 10.15.2. Is there a know issue with Catalina 10.15.7?

What are the opinions on what a good memory should be? This behavior also happens with After Effects.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by any chance are you working with cmyk graphics files?  we used to see all sorts of memory issues in fcp7 with this color space.  If so, convert to rgb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely no CMYK. As you can see in my post, this happen when I open them and don't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now I'm supposed to read the posts carefully before answering?   Something certainly weird is going on.  I'm wondering if there's something corrupt in your system.  Maybe try creating a new account with administrator privileges in system preferences:  users and groups and log out of the current user account and log in to the new account.  Launch Premiere without running any other programs and see if the problem persists.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. Yeah. Didn't mean to make that sound snippy. By the way, it shows I'm a "Community Beginner" but that's only for this forum. I'm 15 years deep into video production and over 30 if you include graphics and design. I steer clear of CMYK big time in the video world.

That's a good suggestion about trying a clean account. I'll post back my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I didn't take it as snippy.  You were totally justified in pointing it out.   I don't always have enough time to really pay attention...  and I've learned not to hesitate when it comes to posting cause I'm startled by the long shots I've suggested that have solved peoples problems.   but I should make sure I've actually read the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to post an update. There is indeed a memory problem with the current versions of Premiere and After Effects on MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina. I was online with an Adobe rep and, after sharing my screen so he could see the memory going up in real time, we had to downgrade to v14.4 of Premeire and v17.5.1 of After Effects for the memory to stabilize.

I'm going to ask a friend to test this with Big Sur. Probably OK, but just want to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting this and keeping the thread up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere wont even import cmyk files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is true, but After Effects will and without any warning that the colors will shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines