Does Premiere Pro have adjustments such as haze removal and sharpness?

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS Elements 2020, there are separate adjustments for adjusting color, lighting, sharpness and haze removal.  I have been especially amazed at how easy it is to use haze removal to immediately transform a faded photo to something that looks like it could have been taken yesterday.

Are there controls in Premier Pro that would allow me to do the same type of correction as I edit old 8mm faded films? 

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no instant Haze removal. In Pr you do everything manually (once set you can save settings as presets).

Same goes for color correction.

Photoshop Elments is not quite the same as Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I understand they are different, but can you ( by using multiple adjustments) obtain the same kind of haze removal effect in editing old 8mm films?

Ed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do amazing things in PrPro ... but you have to do them, normally. So you need to learn how the various effects and tools work and apply them. And as Ann says, create presets to save time after you've got some settings that do something cool & useful.

Haze elimination is all about expanding contrast, changing the tonal range of the image. I use the Color workspace which brings up the Lumetri effect in a panel. There are several tools in the variuos tabs for primarily tonal correction (the first part of haze reduction) but you might want to start with the Color Wheels tab, using the sliders alongside the wheels.

Those sliders set the Luma (brightness) changes for their area. The Shadows slider is what's known as a "lift" tool, it is like using the RGB curves tool, grabbing the bottom black point and moving it up or down. You'd need to take that down to 'expand' contrast.

Then the Highlights Luma slider is the reverse ... it's like setting the top end of the RGB curves tab essentially. Get those two correct, then go back to the Basic tab and work with Contrast, Shadows, and Highlights to try and get the best looking image.

Then work with Saturation and the Vibrance in the Creative tab.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines