• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Premiere Pro use Windows hard drive indexing ?

Advocate ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I learned to turn HDD and SDD indexing off to help speed up drive performance.

Does PPro use the indexed hard drive files from Windows when searching for film clip files, etc...

I was thinking, if I turn off indexing, PPro might work slower caz it can't find what it's looking for quickly?

Thanks for your input.

Letty

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

I googled it and it seems to be an advantage if you do a lot of searching for stuff on the hard drive over and over again ... which I hardly ever do. Maybe 3 times in my life have I looked for some files on a hard drive without having a clue where that file might be ( if it's even on the drive ).

Anyway, you don't do a random search for your source material cause you know where it is. Adobe knows where stuff is ( or is supposed to be, cause otherwise you are re-linking cause you changed the loca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bueller?  Bueller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember exactly what chores the indexing helps speed up but it's EXTREME Repition only and has no effect on any of your Adobe programs. Adobe doesn't use it. Best to leave off for editing cause it slows down the drive a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled it and it seems to be an advantage if you do a lot of searching for stuff on the hard drive over and over again ... which I hardly ever do. Maybe 3 times in my life have I looked for some files on a hard drive without having a clue where that file might be ( if it's even on the drive ).

Anyway, you don't do a random search for your source material cause you know where it is. Adobe knows where stuff is ( or is supposed to be, cause otherwise you are re-linking cause you changed the location of your files ). It doesn't 'search' for stuff .. it knows already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, sounds good to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines