• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dolby Audio Decoder missing after Premiere CC 2018 (V12) update

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the most recent version of Premiere: CC 2018 from Creative Cloud.

When I opened a project I had been working on earlier today that has some .ac3 tracks on some of the sequences, those tracks are redded out and I now get an error message "Missing Dolby Audio Encoder." I get the same message when I try to import .ac3 files into the updated Audition program.

I have been using Premiere CC for several years, have installed all the updates & never had this problem before.

I have an individual (not Enterprise) Subscription on Windows 7.  I ran CC Cleaner Registry check after the install.  It cleared up some paths, but didn't fix this issue.

Please help.  I am up against a deadline!

Wsquared

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Adobe Creative Cloud has moved to native Operating System (OS) support for Dolby Digital decoding (reading Dolby files) and is no longer providing support for encoding (writing) Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sound formats in the current and future releases of Creative Cloud.

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Adobe recommends that you update to the latest version of your Creative Cloud softwareand updating to a more secure operating system (Windows 10 preferred). If

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 326 Replies 326
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud has moved to native Operating System (OS) support for Dolby Digital decoding (reading Dolby files) and is no longer providing support for encoding (writing) Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sound formats in the current and future releases of Creative Cloud.

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Adobe recommends that you update to the latest version of your Creative Cloud softwareand updating to a more secure operating system (Windows 10 preferred). If you’re unable to do so, please contact the Adobe Customer Care team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had known this, I wouldn't have updated the program this time. I updated to Windows 10 on another PC and its been a mess. I know a lot of other pros feel the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree that this should have been made more obvious.  But at the same time, professionals should know enough not to test out new versions of software on a production machine in the middle of a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Seriously?? I have  been using Adobe Premiere for literally 20 years and have never had anything this big happen. You shoudn't expect your audio files to disappear without warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that a heads up during the installation process would have been appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. No clue this would happen. My files don't have audio now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Please find resolution without the need to upgrade to Win10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I did this wrong update too, miss all audio now!
How to roll back to CC2017,
Creative cloud only can reinstall to premiere CC7.0
All of my Premiere CC2017 projects can't open now!
What can I do?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but i find this disturbing. i would not have upgraded had i known this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using premiere elements for years. I finally decided to upgrade to premiere pro 2017 cc on a trial basis.I learned the interface for the most part in one long day and loved it made my workflow and quality of projects great. I did a project the next day utilizing the multi cam edit and keying effects WORKED GREAT on my .mts and .mov files. Well the next day it wanted me to upgrade, not being that familiar to pro I performed the upgrade. Now cant import any audio files from my  .mts videos. I rolled back to pro 2017 and get the same error. I tried all the solutions from this page and others to no avail. Called support after waiting for 20 minutes and explaining my problem they said they will call me back in a half hour. YA RIGHT. well of course they never called back and I'm glad I have not invested in the cc monthly payments. I'm really disappointed that this happened as I was planning on ramping up my video projects looking forward to working in premiere pro. Sorry for babbling just wanted to get that off my chest. P.S. Had to purchase new version of Photoshop because my version did not support the raw .NEF files from my new Nikon THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

UPDATE: I found a solution that works great for me. I took all my project .mts files and batched them thru Wondershare video converter.I converted them to .mov and all works well with good audio import. To batch 12 small .mts clip took about 12 seconds so not so much a big deal until Adobe can rectify the problem. Thanks Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying there is no way to fix this and I cannot edit my footage and need to buy a different camera?  Are you serious? How can the company totally screw their customers?  Tell me how I finish this project by Monday without audio.  This is insane and a crime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the 2018 install offer the option to retain the previous version? If it does, will It keep the Dolby encoder or does installing 2018 remove the encoder from the earlier versions on my machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the checkbox is hidden.

2018 will still have no dolby even if you have 2017 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann; so it still exists. I was more concerned that installing 2018 would remove the encoder from 2017 if I left that on my machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what it does when removing 2017 as I am on W10 and rarely use ac3.

Encore will make my ac3 files for BD or I will frameserve to TMPGencVideoMastering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this information was provided during the update, which means I need to uninstall 2018 and reinstall 2017, precious editing time wasted, Adobe you have dropped the ball clearly and angered a whole heap of the editing and audio visual community that uses your product professionally (as I do), and your flippant nonchalance on this issue I think has been noted by many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE Adobe. If installing this version of CC required an OS upgrade - YOU SHOULD HAVE COMMUNICATED THAT VIA A SPLASH SCREEN PRIOR TO INSTALL!!! An OS upgrade is a MAJOR REQUIREMENT and guess what? YOU STILL LIST WINDOWS 7 on your website as a compatible OS on the system requirements for Adobe Premiere Pro CC: (Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements​).

I've been a Premiere user for 20 years and NEVER has there been a misstep with an upgrade like this. NEVER.

But what can we do? You own us. We have no place to go, except to downgrade - permanently.

Windows 7 has been the perfect platform for Windows based video editing. Very stable with none of the unnecessary OS bells and whistles of later versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 works just fine.  (But I do recommend the following.)

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the "Chat Support" for the same issue....

So, you didn't make 2018 backwards compatible.... are you guys kidding me... Do you know how many people you are going to tick off. That is BAD software management to make someone upgrade their OS to win 10.

I think it is time to dump Adobe. That is just as ignorant as can be.

I cannot spend my time updating to Win 10 at this time.

I usually wait until I have to buy a new PC.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

This is absolutely ridiculous and insane.  I have tried reinstalling Premiere 2017 and still can't get my .mts video (with AUDIO) to play.  To make a change like this without warning people that their projects will no longer work...

I'm teaching an SFX (After Effects) and Editing (Premiere) COLLEGE course, and now I can't work on my own files or student projects at home.  I am absolutely livid.

Please help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kade, read through this complete thread and see if any of the suggestions there help you resolve the issue:

How to restore Dolby Digital audio encoder/decoder on Windows 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Dolby Audio issue is so disappointing. Moreover, after contacting Adobe support I got no help at all other than requesting me to update the OS. I regret the time I consumed talking to them. Adobe Customer support staff denied what is written on Minnetonka's  web site mentioning that the Adobe representative will supply Adobe users with an 8digit coupon code for the Minnetonka Dolby Audio decoder to be for free and not paying the $295 to purchase (which is already over priced)

You can check the link here

Adobe CC Support Page - TLS Corp

Very disappointing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AshrafAziz  wrote

This Dolby Audio issue is so disappointing. Moreover, after contacting Adobe support I got no help at all other than requesting me to update the OS. I regret the time I consumed talking to them. Adobe Customer support staff denied what is written on Minnetonka's  web site mentioning that the Adobe representative will supply Adobe users with an 8digit coupon code for the Minnetonka Dolby Audio decoder to be for free and not paying the $295 to purchase (which is already over priced)

You can check the link here

Adobe CC Support Page - TLS Corp

Very disappointing Adobe.

Read my most recent post in this thread for the explanation. That $295 price is only for users of the original (2013) release of Premiere Pro CC, or Premiere Pro CS6 and earlier (all of which are now EOL and no longer further supported by Adobe, which is why Adobe now no longer issues coupon codes for the Minnetonka product).

Beginning with CC 2014, the Minnetonka product was no longer needed for Dolby 5.1 encoding, which is why support for the surcode was removed. And now, CC 2018 will not incorporate direct support for the Minnetonka product; thus, the full version of the Minnetonka product is now required - at a total cost of $645 (including the mandatory iLok secure USB key) plus any applicable taxes and shipping. Plus, you will now have to export audio from Premiere as a multichannel WAV file or separate mono WAV files, then do your remixing in Audition and encoding in the Minnetonka product. That's more steps than necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that you did not read well the Minnetonka web link and you are expressing your own thoughts above. Your post has many unrealistic information for the following reasons:

1) The Minnetonka article in the referred to web link was written on the 20th of Oct. 2017 and it is addressed to Adobe users who have current problems finishing their works in the abcense of the Dolby decoder from the most recent version of Adobe Premiere Pro (CC 2018)

2)The $295 was the right price required by Minnetonka from Adobe users who are not able to get a code from Adobe to get the product for free.

3)I really consumed a lot of my precious time to solve this Dolby codec problem and I don't like to waste any more time in unproductive conversations.

Ashraf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines