• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dolby Audio Decoder missing after Premiere CC 2018 (V12) update

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the most recent version of Premiere: CC 2018 from Creative Cloud.

When I opened a project I had been working on earlier today that has some .ac3 tracks on some of the sequences, those tracks are redded out and I now get an error message "Missing Dolby Audio Encoder." I get the same message when I try to import .ac3 files into the updated Audition program.

I have been using Premiere CC for several years, have installed all the updates & never had this problem before.

I have an individual (not Enterprise) Subscription on Windows 7.  I ran CC Cleaner Registry check after the install.  It cleared up some paths, but didn't fix this issue.

Please help.  I am up against a deadline!

Wsquared

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Adobe Creative Cloud has moved to native Operating System (OS) support for Dolby Digital decoding (reading Dolby files) and is no longer providing support for encoding (writing) Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sound formats in the current and future releases of Creative Cloud.

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Adobe recommends that you update to the latest version of your Creative Cloud softwareand updating to a more secure operating system (Windows 10 preferred). If

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 326 Replies 326
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you back to the 2017 version, the version 2018 is a mess, I import new videos and import with no audio, my old project are missing audio and some are media offline, my camera record in MTS extension and in my old project don't recognize in the timeline is for example 0058.MTS and when I try to link the media only see the video as 0058 and don't import because recognize as a different file.

I need back to the version 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johnny,

Please see post #220 above for several suggestions on how to get back Dolby functionality and/or CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting to the old versions worked for me. For projects I'd already upgraded before discovering the problem, I just found the most recent auto-save and got everything back to normal. I'm breathing a pretty big sigh of relief right now. I'm told the company where I work won't consider upgrading OS until next year at the earliest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I have this too 😕

Among other errors.... I am not happy with this Adobe. I updated because the previous version kept giving me the error compiling movie and nothing would fix it. Can we have an update that doesn't destroy everything and has no massive new errors? errorspremierecc.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it annoying that i can no longer (i can just reinstall 2017, but i wont) write mpeg2 dvd files with dolby digital. I would hope that no longer paying Dolby would lower the subscription price for CC.

As for people still running old operating systems like 7 and under (hell even 8.1) I need to say, "update your computer". In this age of cyber security problems, you are being very foolish not keeping you computer updated. But if you or the company you work for don't mind being soft targets and possibly losing everything to encryption hacks, then have at it. If you are having trouble with 10 then hire someone to upgrade or clean install 10 for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it hard to believe any of us refusing to downgrade to a subpar OS such as Windows 10 is acting foolish. Ever since launch it was a garbage operating system. Security problems? That should not be a problem to anyone with a tiny bit of basic knowledge.

I also have this issue and I'm on Win 7, yet another update that broke things, added what again?, and now we are behind schedule. Good job Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it hard to believe any of us refusing to downgrade to a subpar OS such as Windows 10 is acting foolish.

I kind of think you are.  There's nothing seriously wrong with 10 that can't be corrected pretty easily.

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon:

Perhaps you believe in Windows 10.  I've no doubt it's good stuff.  But what you may have missed in a previous post of mine is that Windows 10 is no longer a free upgrade.  The "Home" version is $119 and the "Pro" version is $199.  So, for some, that's a cash outlay that we would have to pay in order to fix our problem with PrePro 2018.  It almost flirts with extortion.

Add that to the fact that some of our Windows 7 software and 3rd party plug-ins may not work in 10, we probably will have to spend more money to upgrade those.

All a moot point.  Just saying we don't need salt in our costly wounds with you preaching the gospel of Windows 10 to us.  I hope you understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is madness.

Downgrading to CC 2017...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. From my research, it appears it's a licensing issue between Microsoft and Dolby. The Dolby decoder is now only on Windows 8 and above as part of the operating system codecs. I am on Win7 and you can't get it anymore.

I was online with Adobe chat for over 4 hours (most of it waiting to connect). Their solution last night was to reinstall Premiere CC 2017 on my computer. After I restarted my computer and checked CC 2017, the Dolby issue was still there.  No audio on MTS files. Who knows what else? On CC 2017, the Dolby dialog box came up for me to install the codec, but nothing happen. Most likely no plugin/patch to download anymore. So, both 2017 and 2018 have the same issue with no Dolby installed.

The last ditch effort I tried was to do a system restore. And surprise -- It worked again on.  That might be an option. But, I'm not sure what damage this has caused with other parts of the program(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, I have a similar issue. I'm having audio problems (I can hear the audio it's just out of sync). Reverting back to 2017 didn't help, it just prompts for the Dobly codec, hit OK, doesn't help.

My difference is on Windows 10 so I'm told this shouldn't be a problem at all.

I may try the system restore, I have little to lose at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Please contact support by clicking on this link if you're on Windows 7.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIght.  Contact Adobe Support for the idiot test.  Here's the transcript:

Bhaskar: Please allow me 1-2 minutes to review your account details.

Bhaskar: Hi Donovan

B Donovan: Hi.

Bhaskar: can you confirm me the OS version you are at?

B Donovan: Windows 7

Bhaskar: I understand what you are trying to do here, let me explain why this has happened. Premiere Pro CC (2018 release) no longer possess the codecs necessary to export your project into Dolby 5.1. Adobe has moved to native OS support for reading/decoding Dolby files with Creative Cloud products. Both Windows and OS X operating systems (Windows 8.1 or above and Mac OS 10.11 or above) contain this native support.

B Donovan: Yes, I read all about it. Doesn't help me at all

Bhaskar: you need to upgrade the OS or downgrade the version of the application

B Donovan: Downgrading to CC 2017 no longer has the Dolby Codec available. It was deleted with all of the CC 2017 files.

Bhaskar: there is no other option

B Donovan: By the way, upgrading to Windows 10 is not free anymore. It costs $119 to get it. I had AE and Pre Pro 2017.

B Donovan: No OPtion? Okay, well thanks anyhow.

Bhaskar: you a re welcome.

Bhaskar: You are going to receive a customer satisfaction survey. I would appreciate it if you fill it out. Thank you, goodbye!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNREAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following is a part of my chat with Adobe's rep. asking Adobe to provide me with a solution for the Dolby Audio problem with PrPro CC 2018 where at the end the Customer support rep. (Aditya) is calling our discussion on the internet about this problem "abuse" and just ended the chat before I respond to her claim!!

Aditya: I checked the forum post , so yes, people feel it's Adobe who did this on purpose, but unfortunately people fail to understand it's all due to Dolby changes, anyway, it suggests to contact Adobe for other possible options, but the options if you cannot upgrade OS or your native supported OS doesn't have Dolby Decoders, the third party plugins have to be purchased

Aditya: For those requiring Dolby encoding capabilities, please consider the following third party option:  Minnetonka Audio – SurCode or Dolby – Media Producer Suite

Ashraf Aziz: What about Minnetonka Audio statement, is it false? Adobe does not provide 8 digits code?

Aditya: I am afraid, it is incorrect, We cannot provide any such codes as we don't own or have rights with them either.

Aditya: please share the document where you read such a thing, We shall take actions necessary

Aditya: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

Ashraf Aziz: I am sorry about that confusion. I am sorry too about Adobe's negative position towards the suffering of many Adobe users. If you kindly read the forum posts you might understand that many many people complain about this issue

Ashraf Aziz: Loyality nowadays is a foolish thing.

Aditya: I completely agree, People on the internet discuss & eventually start abusing everyone without knowing the actual thing, anyway, I understand your confusion, thanks, please share such a document with us via the email: dvasup@adobe.com

Aditya: Thank you for contacting Adobe. Wish you a pleasant day ahead. Good Bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same situation... completely useless

Pawan: Dolby decoder has been removed from premiere pro now.
Pawan: Once you upgrade the windows, dolby decoder will cone in automatically.
Pawan: Come*
Omar Barco: Yes, I read that in the forums. As I explained before, upgrade the OS it is something that may not happen soon or never in the company, isn´t there another solution other than upgrading the OS?
Omar Barco: also I read that going back to CC 2017 wouln´t work either
Pawan: Yes correct, it has been removed even from the previous version. I am afraid to say but there is no alternative to this.
Omar Barco: I would complaint but that is not going to fix the problem. Thank you for your time. Bye
Pawan: I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Pawan: Thank you for contacting Adobe. Wish you a pleasant day ahead. Good Bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

completely useless

I don't think it's useless at all.  You have to upgrade to Windows 10.  That solves the problem.  It's useful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He didn´t tell me anything that I already knew and stated to him and 3 people before him (just that the end of a long chat) so, it is useful? yes, but redundant. It´s not his fault, as this kind of problem is due to decisions from above him, that´s why I didn´t bother making the conversation longer. What is outrageous or unless unwise is that, Adobe  didn´t warn properly about this before updating, and it is not the first time, always (and I mean always, for the past 3 years) there are this kind of problems with Premiere and/or After Effects when a new version is released. I love the Adobe programs, but they should be more careful with this things, or you end up with a big bunch of your users mad at you wondering if there is a good alternative to them... luckily for them there isn´t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to disagree with you @omarv3893924

But there are alternatives to this nonsense....

I have a full list of apps that can replace CC if you want me to send them to you.
Here are just a few....

Ardour replaces Audition

HitFilm Pro or BlackMagic Fusion replace AfterEffects

HitFilm Pro & Davinci Resolve replaces Premiere Pro

I am working on this list, and once I have all my ducks in a row... Hasta la vista, baby!

It's just too bad that bad PR and customer service is a dark cloud over what should be considered a great service, which I believe is more important than the product itself.

NO ONE HAS to BE IN BONDAGE TO THIS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a good Photoshop replacement.

Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He didn´t tell me anything that I already knew

I assume you meant that he didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

But if that's the case, if you already knew the solution, why do you keep asking for one?

I do agree that some kind of notice during the update process would have been appropriate in this case.  And while I recognize the (unfortunate) existence of the current "victimhood = sainthood" culture, the reality is that it's ultimately the editor's responsibility to make sure the hardware and software he's using is suitable for the task.  Any other viewpoint will get you into unnecessary difficulty.  That means research and testing before using on a real project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10, and after updating to CC 2018, Dolby options disappeared when rendering from Premiere. Does this mean Windows 10 has DECODING capabilities, but for ENCODING I need to purchase a third party plugin?

I also think it is odd that Minnetonka audio has instructions for using a coupon code from Adobe, but Adobe support seems to know nothing about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 12.0.1

Things seem to work again!  After months of headache!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aaronjack  wrote

I just updated to 12.0.1

Things seem to work again!  After months of headache!

Are you saying that Dolby Digital Encode now works and they have put it back in? Please let us know. I cancelled my account because of this, so would be keen to know if they did put it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines