• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragging multiple audio clips into timeline; can I stack them?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working on a video where I'm given multiple channels of audio (in this case, 7 separate files for each take), it's incredibly time consuming to drag the clips in one at a time. Is there a way I can select all seven files and drag them into the timeline so that they stack vertically along seven audio tracks?

As it is now, when I drag in multiple audio clips, they arrange horizontally along one track.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I don't think that there's an easy solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to stack clips is if you select in the project panel and create a multicam source sequence.

Then you can drag this sequence into your main sequence after deselecting Insert and Overwrite sequences as nest or indidual clips in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm concerned with audio clips only in this case. I cannot create a multicam source sequence with audio clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a dummpy clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that if you "combine" the clips you´ll be able to drag them to the timeline as a stack of clips! I hope that´s helping others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean Merge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Oddly, merge did the job for me.. contrary to what the term might indicate. I merged about 14 audio clips then dragged the merge sequence into the timeline and was able to sync them to a master audio track. They look like typical audio tracks. If "merge" means something besides "make this super easy for me to stack these".. something that might upset any normal production processes, I don't see it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

* Rather.. it creates a single, new clip called [name of first file selected]-merge.wav

I dragged the clip into the timeline, and the clips stacked nicely. That's exactly what I needed. I was able to sync all the tracks to a master audio file. 

I would swear there used to be an ALT command to just highlight and drag them in stacked, but I guess that's just Audition.

You can also click the clip in the bin to see its layers in the source panel. 

If you reveal the clip in explorer, a dropdown window appears with all the related files selected. There must be some organzational use cases for this, beyond an easy way to stack.  Where syncing successfully moves each track individually, I can only select them as a group. I didn't dive too deep, tho.  At minimum, It's a way to group filesets that need to be synced separately from others. I'll have to find a video on this topic one day soon. Suggestions encouraged. 🙂

P.S. I can't seem to edit my posts in Chrome via web anymore. Just me? That's a bit inconvenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines