• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dropped frames on preview media

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty high-end system and I'm getting dropped frames on the first playback of any sequence with rendered preview media. It's almost as if every single clip drops frames the first time its played back. I've tried changing what drives the media is rendered to and I've changed the codec and nothing seems to make it better. All of my drives are definitely fast enough. On the second playback, it'll drop about 25 seconds in, almost every time. These are usually 1080p 23.976 30-second sequences that drop about 50 frames on playback.

My system is:

Windows 10 64bit

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

GTX 1070 Ti

32GB RAM

500gb M.2 SSD

2tb SSD RAID-0 array

QNAP TVS-1282T3

Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4k (it happened even before I had this)

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon x399 Motherboard

Has anyone had this type of problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi core787,

Sorry for the issue. What is the footage file format? Have you tried to decrease the playback resolution?

Have you tried proxies workflow?

If the footage is compressed, preview will drop frames during playback.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens no matter what the original footage is, without rendering previews it generally plays back better even though a lot of the footage is ProRes4444 HQ 4k, once I render down to whatever resolution it skips frames. Ive tried changing playback resolution and that doesnt help.

I've just now tried a bunch of different settings and found that Quicktime Uncompressed or Quicktime Animation gives me no issues, also AVI Uncompressed. But the whole point of previews is to render out smaller versions just for playback, why would they cause such a problem? My Mac systems dont have this issue at all, is it an AMD thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Bitdefender 2018?  After extensive troubleshooting,  I was able to learn my dropped frame issue was due to that specific software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I dont use that software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm similar behaviour here. I'm just editing some RED footage and rendering the whole timeline to preview in the (default) mpeg-i-frame only format results in little stutters every couple of seconds. Rendering the preview to QT Animation plays back smoothly (I render the previews to an SSD drive). I'm working on a dual xeon workstation with tons of RAM, my PC is not being taxed at all when these stutters occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tested the graphics card (GTX 1080), reverting to a previous driver, but the issue with dropped frames continued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to report that I am experiencing the exact same issue.

Constant frames being dropped - whether I render or not.  Basically, a frame drops each second.  I confirmed that the stutter of playback was due to dropped frames.  It makes playback/editing nearly impossible.  I have tried playback rendered and not rendered.  Tried clearing all previews and premiere cache as well.

All drivers are up to date on the system.

Footage is:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 148.40 MB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate: 23.976

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:00:51:00

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

But after doing some tests, the dropped frames happen to mp4 and MOV also.

Computer is:

Windows 10 Home

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.9 GHz

32GB Ram

Nvidia GTX 1080

When playing back:

CPU usage: 6%

RAM usage: 30%

GTX usage: 4%

GPU acceleration (CUDA) is on.  Dropped frames occur when render is software based as well.  Changing the playback quality doesn't make a difference either.

Help would be much appreciated asap!

Clint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a solution?
I'm having tha same problem.
every 5 seconds I get a drop frame
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
GTX 1080 Founders Edition
64Gb ram 2666
500Gb nvme

Asus TUF X570 Motherboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have only the one drive? What is your media? What effects are involved? We have to have enough information to do something other than wild guesses.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just built the PC.
For now I have the nvme and a SATA HDD installed. 
I'm still backing up my files from my 2012 Mac Pro. As soon as it's finished, I'll Install a SSD and 2 more Sata HDDs in the PC.
The media is a simple 1080p H.264. I just droped it in the timeline (create sequence from clip) to see if everything was working fine. Sadly it's not.
I converted it to ProRes 442 and got the same results; Used the HDD as scratch disk; 
Every 5 seconds I get a drop frame.
In  After Effects is plays smoothly, renders super fast. 
I'm using the Nvidia Studio Ready Driver.  Tried using the Game  Ready Driver and got the same problem.

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved with  formating the machine.  
I have no clue Idea what was causing the problem.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines