• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dummies guide to organising

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About six months ago my computer broke down. (Apparently it wasn't ready for windows 10). My hard drive was a gonna. Luckily I had been backing up onto an external drive so ...phew.

But I had never really organised my projects, media, renders and back ups in a formulated way. A bit bish, bash , bosh and then a lot of needless duplicates and searching.

Now 4k , proxies, and various exports are getting more common , can any one recommend a good way of organising their project and media?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

The film industry has the need for systematic approaches to organising content so we can learn a lot from them. Here's an article from 2014 that's still relevant:

Nine Steps to Organize a Video Edit - Documentary & Fiction Film

The key principles or organisation is to have a clear file structure, follow standard naming conventions and even have a document explaining your system in case it gets very big and you forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The film industry has the need for systematic approaches to organising content so we can learn a lot from them. Here's an article from 2014 that's still relevant:

Nine Steps to Organize a Video Edit - Documentary & Fiction Film

The key principles or organisation is to have a clear file structure, follow standard naming conventions and even have a document explaining your system in case it gets very big and you forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dean. Very useful link. One question I have is about naming clips. Obviously the first thing I wpuld want to do is copy my clips onto a back up. But I also want to rename my clips. So the question I have is : if I lost my clips which I had renamed , could I relink the clips from the back up drive even though they had a different name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Toby. If say a video file became corrupted and you wanted to replace it with a backup, you could do the following:

1. Copy the backup video to the same location as the original/corrupted version and replace it - i.e. have the same name. This would be the simplest as your Premiere Project would not have to be relinked to he file.
2. Copy a newly named video to a location with your project, open in Premiere and relink. If you deleted the problematic video, Premiere would immediately ask you to locate the video.

Obviously 1 above is the easiest.

My advice for backups is don't rename your clips but you could have a unique name to the backup folder in which they are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dean. Many thanks for your replies.

Is there a way of arranging the timeline so the clip description is listed rather than the name? This would probably solve my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Toby,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your last question. I looked into it and then got distracted and lost track of this thread. Unfortunately, don't have a solution to your last question. From what I can see, showing the description instead of teh clip name is not possible.

Wish you all the best with your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines