Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate and change sequence

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hope you can help me. I want to duplicate/copy a sequence and title and then change it. But since the sequence panel only refer to the source material I tried to duplicate the sequence in my material, rename it and use it differently but the original sequence is always the same and Im unable to change the new sequence without changing the original sequence as well.

I tried copying the parts with Alt and Drag but that doesnt create a working copy (in order to change it and use it for other purpose).

Does someone know an answer?

My version is v13.1 Magician.

Thank you so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you referring too?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from the project panel, right click the sequence you wish to duplicate and select 'Duplicate'

I guess you are working on a template, if so, you can use the 'pancake' workflow technique

and save 2 versions of your project, the original template project and another for editing,

stack the timelines of the template project and the editing project above each other and

start dragging from the template project timeline to the project panel of your editing project,

this will create unique duplicates of the sequences. make sure to drag any nested sequences

as well, to have unique duplicates of those. This will leave the original project intact, and gives

you the freedom to work on your editing project, seeing everything on the timelines clearly,

and working seamlessly across projects ...

you can open 2 projects if you have pp 2018 and later

If you need any more help let us know please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like that?

I saved another project with the templates and opened both simultaneously. If I drag the sequence from above ("Preview") into my other project ("sequence1") the part I want to use looks exactly like the earlier version I modified in that exact project. I can't change it without affecting the original.

It doesnt look like I created a duplicate that works on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drag from the template sequence to the 'Project Panel' of your project, if you want duplicates,

then from that to your project timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that doesn't work as well. I tried and it'll just be the same as the original unmodified version and I can't modify it and have two different versions that work on their own.

Do you maybe have a alternative suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should work and im 100% sure of it because i experiment a lot with

templates and stacked timelines with different project versions...

I guess there's something you are missing... do you have teamviewer?

can you pm me your credentials if so? to help you out the best and fastest way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to duplicate in the Project Panel if you want independent assets: the duplicate nest will read: nested sequence 01 copy 01 or in your case: title 01 copy 01.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if he is working on a premiere pro template, duplicating from the project panel will

create a unique duplicate, but what if there are other nested sequences inside

that duplicate? this will get the user back to the original problem, those nested

sequences inside the sequence he duplicated will NOT be duplicated and will

refer back to the same source... That is why I always recommend 'pancake' workflows

to see everything clearly... then drag from the sequence of one project to the 'PROJECT PANEL'

of the other project on which the editing is done... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version are you speaking off? That won't work with my Adobe Premiere Pro unfortunately.

I tried that "pancake" technique but it isnt helping me as it only creates references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version 2018 and later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you are on previous versions of the 2018, follow Ann's advice and create your duplicates from the

project panel, you have no other solution, and I told you about this in my previous replies if

you carefully read what I posted. I suggested 2 solutions:

01. duplicate from the PROJECT PANEL by right clicking and 'Duplicate'

02. If you are on version  2018 and later, PANCAKE workflow (pancake means timelines stacked above each other)

Please read carefully what we post. It has been stressed many times that in either workflows

you have to duplicate from or drag to THE PROJECT PANEL

and i asked if you have teamviewer or any remote access to help you out faster

which version of premiere do you have? are you working on a premiere pro template?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm preparing a video tutorial specifically for this, and will share with all of you

on how to perfectly duplicate unique versions of sequences, even with

nested sequences inside. will be shared here as soon as possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New here to Premiere Pro and hoping you can help. I came upon this exact same problem and tried to walk through this video to no avail as well as many other suggestions online. Perhaps you may have a solution.  I am using a template to make a photo slideshow video. The template only has 12 scenes with 12 placeholders for photos (all of which I've replaced). I want to make the video twice as long with twice as many photos. I tried your pancake suggestion, but when I drag the new scene with the new photo in from the editted project, it reverts back to the original placeholder. How do I make it link to a new placeholder? I obviously don't want a slideshow with the same photos twice. What am I doing wrong? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

thanks for your question.
well I resolved this issue on the following way:

1. first copy the original sequence arrangement once again on the same timeline on your right side of the time line with selecting the arrangement and alt.
2. then duplicate the sequence in your browser and copy and paste the seccond arrangement in to this sequence.

hipe that this help
Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue but I can't really understand what to do just by looking at your written explanation. Could you please make a video or link a video here so I can follow through?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

follow I meant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, for now, importing project as many as i want is a solution for me project.

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just another example of Adobe making life hard for no good reason.
Why, when you duplicate a sequence, does changes made in the duplicate sequence also change the original sequence?
How does this situation help anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I want to delete mw own comment here but can't.
It seems the changes to the duplicated sequence doesn't affect the original now after renaming it several times....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been duplicating from the sequence icon in the Project panel as stated several times in this thread? Or from the sequence?

If you've been duplicating the sequence in the Project panel, and it does this, that would be a bug. But not if you're duping the sequence from a sequence in the Timeline panel.

They have different results on purpose, for very different uses.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said I wanted to delet my own comment...
But yes, it's being buggy, I was duplicating from within project.
And half the time double-clicking the Sequence in Project won't even open it in the timeline, I have to quit and re-open just to open a Sequence...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines