Highlighted

Duplicate Footage import .xml from someone else

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker is making selections on his end and sends me an .xml. When I import the .xml it imports the footage that is in the timeline. This footage is already in my project, so it duplicates it. Is there a way to import an .xml like in Davinci and have the option to say to Premiere, the footage is in the project already?

Thanks

JP

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Duplicate Footage import .xml from someone else

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My coworker is making selections on his end and sends me an .xml. When I import the .xml it imports the footage that is in the timeline. This footage is already in my project, so it duplicates it. Is there a way to import an .xml like in Davinci and have the option to say to Premiere, the footage is in the project already?

Thanks

JP

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I remember that's the way productions work.  but what's the big deal?  When this happens to me, I just move the duplicate clips to a folder and forget about it...  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with the new Productions process eliminates this and a ton of other collaborative issues. Look into it. You don't have to have HUGE projects to benefit from Productions mode either, it works great for small one-person shops to handle a years worth of projects, allow for instant reuse of assets without duplications and such.

Neil

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Productions Workflow for Long Form & Episodic PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Neil, any downside to working with productions?  any reason NOT to use this workflow?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None whatever.

It's so much easier to reuse assets, track things, it loads and runs faster, and if you're working large projects, it is amazingly light & nimble to load and work.

I'm a one-man shop, and it's an amazingly useful tool for me. My entire year version of Premiere in one Production, with all my different projects in their own folder structures. I can grab audio files from one to add in another, reuse broll, all that sort of thing without ever worrying about what projects are open or what I'm in or duplicates.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
salvo34 LATEST
Advocate ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience ( limited hobbyist ) using xml ( or edl ) is problematic sometimes even between my 2 computers. One is edit computer, the other is game laptop.

A conform thing in resolve can help fix the xml stuff that didn't work exactly, but it's a bit of work dealing with timecodes and transitions and so on. The best thing ( IMO ) is to just work alone. If I have a friend send me something to make my video work the way I want I yap with them, they make the stuff, show me previews on vimeo or something, and we yap some more, and eventually they send me a drive in the mail as an intermediate export from their end. I ask for DNxHD rec 709 cause I'm just a hobbyist.

It's not what you want. You want instant collaboration with friend and to do that you have to just deal with the limitations. The hype about what you can do has to be tempered with what actually happens ( how it works for you personally ).

If you are getting slight adjustments to your project from friend it may be that those adjustments will be reflected in your original timeline clips and you can just delete the junk replication ???

🙂 good luck 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0