• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate text in captions imported from .srt file (Premiere Pro 14.9 or earlier)

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to figure out how to get my captions imported from an .srt file. The problem is that, starting from the 2nd caption block, every block displays the last sentence from the previous block along with the next sentence. So it just looks off because the last sentence always gets repeated again in the next block.

I don't know if this is how it's suppose to work or if there's a setting that can be toggled off. I open up the .srt file to compare it with what's being displayed and the original file doesn't repeat the text so it looks like a Premiere issue. I had to go into each block and delete the first sentence to get around this problem, but I was really hoping there's a better solution.

Thanx

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

I had some fun!

The hard way: Notepad++, macros, blah, blah. Sorta worked. Took it to Subtitle edit to renumber...

Easy way (finally found it when back in subtitle edit): Open YouTube .srt in subtitle edit. Tools -> Fix common errors. Retimed! In PR, the times do not overlap, and displays as single line. I did not check the sync, but the times are in the ball park.

Give this a try if you can, or send me your original .srt, and I'll convert it and send back for you to test. (I'll send you a PM.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clue. There are lots of settings, but I see nothing that would prevent Tools from appearing. Here is my current window, but that is pretty much default. Also 3.5.14. 

Stan

Subtitle Edit Window.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan,

My mistake, it helps to install the right program. I opened and installed some other program that I was trying. The screenshot helped. The program is awesome and is working great for my needs.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Tools" doesn't seem to be an option in the current subtitle editor in YouTube. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tools I am talking about is in the free, third party tool "SubtitleEdit," not Youtube.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Subtitle Edit versions for Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see my notes on Mac. I think some Mac users report liking this:

http://www.aegisub.org/

But the functions are not the same.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this is far more complicated than it needs to be. Thankfully after searching around more I came across this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJ21-GaYew which suggests to use downsub which lets you export a non overlapping .srt file perfectly into adobe premiere. Easy peasy free solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found an easy way to fix this issue. You have to just make an edit to the automatic youtube subtitles using the youtube editor, then when the save it, the new subtitiles will appear above. If you download those ones the timings are normal.Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 1.29.12 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines