Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicating Open Captions for Multiple Styles

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am having a serious issue with Open Captions and duplication.

I have a project where by I need the same captions for a variety of different styled videos but would like to be able to duplicate the captions and style each duplication accordingly. All I want to do is have a caption set with a black font and another set in white.

Annoyingly when I duplicate the captions in the sequence it changes all the copied clips together. The same happens if I copy the captions file in the project panel and rename it. I can not even copy all the caption text and paste into a new caption.

I need a work around as this is a huge waste of my time writing out the captions multiple times.

Editing on Premier Pro CC 13.0.2 on Apple.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, if I understand correctly, I fear that there is no other solution but to create a new title based on the existing one (in the title panel - double click on the title), at the top left pigi icon "new title based on current ").

It's the only way Premiere has to deal differently with all the titles and therefore the captions you're using.

Otherwise, any change (such as the color) that I made to a title, overturns on all others even if you rename it, because in fact you would not have created a new benzene the same that you have modified.

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I do not understand. I am not using titles, I am using Captions.

I know with titles you can duplicate within the project panel and give each title a custom style.

Captions is a complete different ball game. I have been told that SRT. files can be created and customised but that is a long process for something that should be a quick action.Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 12.08.28.png

I hope the screenshot gives you a better view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok now I understand.

At the bottom left, in the "captions" panel, you find "subtitle import settings" (which is the image I posted to you). Inside, at the bottom of the window, you can determine which style you want to attribute to the various subtitles; as well as in the various drop down menus you can set the type.

immagine sottotitolazione.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately These setting do not change my captions in the slightest.

If I wish to duplicate my Open captions I cannot give that duplicated file a unique style neither – this is my main aim.

My situation... I have to create a video that can be used in a 16:9 format and a square 1:1 format. both are subtitled (they are the exact same video). However, I would like to have black text in my 16:9 video and white text in my square video. The actual contents of the text does not change. Having to write the captions for both of these separately is a massive waste of time when I should be able to copy the captions file and give the duplicated file a unique style.

The import settings are mainly for closed captions which is not what I am after.

Thank you for your help though it is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to duplicate the Open Captions project item in the Project panel.

If you copy/paste on the timeline you are simply creating another instance of the same Open captions item, hence why they change together. Duplicate the caption in the project panel and add it to your timeline - you can then change the style of this one independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike,

I have done that and it still does not work unfortunately. I can change the style in the captions but it does not actually push through and change the actual captions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maeves37558959  wrote

Hey Mike,

I have done that and it still does not work unfortunately. I can change the style in the captions but it does not actually push through and change the actual captions...

There is a problem where changes in the caption panel do not show in the program monitor.

I do not recall this happening with a duplicated caption stream (stream 1 is okay; stream 2 does not show changes). I suspect neither stream is showing changes anymore. Let's assume you are doing this correctly, as Mike describes.

Disclaimer: you say they all change together; I'm not sure what that means, so it is possible that my guess as to what is wrong is, well, wrong... If so, describe a bit more...

I have not been able to discover a pattern as to when these display correctly and when they don't. The more complex the project or use of multiple caption streams are, the more likely to get things out of sync.

Sometimes saving, closing the project, and reopening works.

Other times simply changing focus from different panels may work.

Once, cleaning the media cache resulted in the correct display.

Resetting workspace is worth a try, but it did not help the only time I tried it.

Do you want all the fonts the same? I would try selecting all captions in the caption panel, then change there.

Another user suggested this: Project window, right click the caption, modify > captions timebase > changed this to a different/wrong setting which pushed it to update. then changed it back to what it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem with the program monitor and it does not export correctly neither.

Below is two screenshots. one set of captions is set with white text (16:9) and the other is set with red text (Square). You can see the changes made in the thumbnails of the captions but does not appear changed in the program monitor. I have unistalled Premier Pro and reinstalled it and still the same issue.

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 13.44.23.png

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 13.44.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a bit more testing. There are probably 2 issues here: the somewhat random "changes don't appear" problem, and a problem with duplicating caption streams.

The duplicated and original caption streams are somehow interdependent. But I can see that they exist separately in the project file.

Changes in the caption stream do not appear in the program monitor for the duplicate stream, which continues to show the original caption stream properties, even if the original stream is changed.

Saving, exiting, reopening did not help.

Now fascinating: changing the timebase as described above seemed to fix the duplicate: its changes now appeared in the program monitor. But they also took the place of the original steam's appearance! Totally messed up!

I will try to retest to see if this is a reliable problem.

I would avoid creating the caption stream as a duplicate. Export from the project panel as srt. Change the name of the export (after export) for good measure (should not matter). Reimport. You can use the import settings dialog AndreaSun  points to to change the style on import. But you can also do it after.

I might also create a new test project to see if that might make the testing cleaner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Stan, the strange and fascinating things often happen in Premiere, in the years I use it;)

It may seem strange or absurd, an abnormal behavior as that which our friend tells us, but in particular I remember perfectly that something strange happened to import an image, JPG, which produced strange results by applying effects of color, for example, until I tried (after days!) to change his name!

At that point everything worked well ...

No need to clean up, delete cache, exit, re-enter, uninstall, reinstall ...

So do not underestimate the power of the oddities :))) and do not take anything for granted or insane.

So change names and try everything for what you (we) may seem strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, simple things are always worth a try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New tests: confirm there is a bug that a duplicate caption stream is not independent.

Create new project. Import video; create two sequences, one named "original," and one "dupe." Import srt; add to "original" sequence. In project panel, duplicate srt. Rename "dupe." Add dupe srt to dupe sequence.

Change in dupe srt is visible caption panel, but does not appear in program monitor. Change in original srt shows in program monitor for both sequences. So, once you allow for the lack of independence, changes made were visible in program monitor.

File -> Export -> Caption as srt for each caption stream: files show correct changes (as in caption panel).

Also, project file has separate instances of the caption streams, and changes made are present.

Workaround: Export (either) caption stream with new name; import to project and use as duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy, somehow the names come in again!

We'll see if it will be corrected with the next release of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now it's clearer, thanks.

Have you tried to change the name of the two files for the two different versions? So as to create two different sources that can be modified separately and only?

That's basically what Mike writes.

In my opinion you should solve this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had Adobe check it out... they were equally and confused and then suddenly BAM... it all started working like normal again. Creating a project with bars and tone and adding multiple captions on top somehow fixed the issue... this is all boiled down to a glitch.

Thanks for all the help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maeves37558959  wrote

Just had Adobe check it out... they were equally and confused and then suddenly BAM... it all started working like normal again. Creating a project with bars and tone and adding multiple captions on top somehow fixed the issue... this is all boiled down to a glitch.

That's interesting. Can you describe what "fixed the issue" means? The duplicate caption stream is now independent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, oddly the duplicated caption stream in the project window has now started to act independently. Like you mentioned earlier in this thread, if you duplicate the caption stream in the sequence window, the duplicated caption stream is parented. However, when you duplicate the caption stream in the project window and rename it, it makes the caption streams act independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was always renaming it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As was I. It seemed to be a glitch though. If you are having the same issue I would suggest getting in contact with adobe and let them see for themselves. Somehow it fixed it for me. I am just happy it is working as it should.

Thanks for the help and sorry if its caused issues for others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I figuered out how to solve this. Make copies in the same project of the captions. After this save, close and reopen the program and everything works fine. Obviously is a bug of the software. 🙂 Best wishes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been searching for this answer for the whole day. Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is a bug for sure, you helped me figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Duplicate caption file in project folder, rename, close project, re-open -and all is well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines