Highlighted

DV AVI vs DV MOV Difference

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for answers here, as I am scratching my head on this one. Ill try to be brief here.   A few years ago I decided to go Mac, and tranfer all my old PC based Premiere projects over.  It's been a frustrating process.

My issue stems from the lack of Mac Premiere support for AVI files; I have many old DV AVI files from the past that I am using in various projects, etc.  After looking for answers here and elswhere online, I have been down the rabbit hole of rewrapping these files using both ffmpeg and mpegstreamclip.   In every instance, there is a notciable drop in quality, significantly, between the MOV rewrapped file and the original AVI.  Stranger yet, if I rewrap the MOV back to AVI, the quality returns and becomes indistinguishable from the the original AVI.  What is going on here?  Obviously no encoding is occuring, otherwise going back to the AVI would show generational loss, which there is none.   Am I missing a step?  The recontainer processes were very very fast too, so I am 100% sure that I am recontaining the streams correctly.  

My method of observing the diffrence is by layering the two files on top of each other on a timeline, and then just A-Bing.  I used my old Windows 7 PC with Premiere CS5 so that I could actually see the orginal AVI file this way, and compare that to the MOV file.  At first, I suspected that my old PC just couldn't properly display the MOV file.  To perform a similar test on the Mac to prove this theory, I made a high quality mp4 export of the AVI using my PC; a placeholder of the AVI file to import into Premiere on my Mac to compare to the MOV file.  The difference was still there, and the mp4 was exceptionally better and nearly identical to what the AVI looked like on my PC.  I have also just tried reencoding the AVI to a MOV with the DV25 codec with Premiere on the PC, and the result was slightly worse than what the MOV rewrap looked, so the encoding was obvsiouly degrading it.  

I am at a loss; anyone know what is going on?  Should I go back to PC only for my old DV projects?

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

DV AVI vs DV MOV Difference

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for answers here, as I am scratching my head on this one. Ill try to be brief here.   A few years ago I decided to go Mac, and tranfer all my old PC based Premiere projects over.  It's been a frustrating process.

My issue stems from the lack of Mac Premiere support for AVI files; I have many old DV AVI files from the past that I am using in various projects, etc.  After looking for answers here and elswhere online, I have been down the rabbit hole of rewrapping these files using both ffmpeg and mpegstreamclip.   In every instance, there is a notciable drop in quality, significantly, between the MOV rewrapped file and the original AVI.  Stranger yet, if I rewrap the MOV back to AVI, the quality returns and becomes indistinguishable from the the original AVI.  What is going on here?  Obviously no encoding is occuring, otherwise going back to the AVI would show generational loss, which there is none.   Am I missing a step?  The recontainer processes were very very fast too, so I am 100% sure that I am recontaining the streams correctly.  

My method of observing the diffrence is by layering the two files on top of each other on a timeline, and then just A-Bing.  I used my old Windows 7 PC with Premiere CS5 so that I could actually see the orginal AVI file this way, and compare that to the MOV file.  At first, I suspected that my old PC just couldn't properly display the MOV file.  To perform a similar test on the Mac to prove this theory, I made a high quality mp4 export of the AVI using my PC; a placeholder of the AVI file to import into Premiere on my Mac to compare to the MOV file.  The difference was still there, and the mp4 was exceptionally better and nearly identical to what the AVI looked like on my PC.  I have also just tried reencoding the AVI to a MOV with the DV25 codec with Premiere on the PC, and the result was slightly worse than what the MOV rewrap looked, so the encoding was obvsiouly degrading it.  

I am at a loss; anyone know what is going on?  Should I go back to PC only for my old DV projects?

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would stick to PC when it comes to dv avi projects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 1
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like Ann's suggestion! There have been a lot of posts with Mac users having dv avi issues.

Your issue may have nothing to do with the problem I had, but I'll add my 2 cents. I was only on PC, but the avi files would not convert correctly to "correct" avi. My "archive" avi backups were DV AVI exports from PR in the early days. As in using a Pinnacle DV500 in the early 2000's. Edited parts (e.g. titles, transitions, etc) would not play back. Lagarith via Virtualdub would work to replace the codec, but using the same difference method, they was a significant difference in quality.

I eventually discovered a file in an old download directory of the Pinnacle DV25 codec, and simply rewrapped with Vitualdub. The entire avi played back fine, and no quality hit.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
Ann Bens LATEST
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtual dub is pc only so why not save you the trouble going through all kind of hoops. Just edit in Pr on a pc.

I recently captured some d8 footage. Edits like a breeze on a modern machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0