• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.dv files and Premiere

Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are .dv files still supported by Premiere? I checked on cc2020 and they dont seem to be imported, but in cc2017 they are imported fine. Can someone let me know on this issue?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro 2020 (14.9) on macOS 10.15.7, and I just successfully imported some files captured from 18-year-old miniDV tapes, if that’s the DV format you mean. The MediaInfo utility says the video stream is DV format. However, the files have an .mov filename extension because they’re in a QuickTime wrapper. I think they were captured using Premiere Pro a few years ago, from the original miniDV tapes.

If DV import is not working, I’m not sure what to try except maybe transcode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad. Yes the files i wish to import were captured from mini dv tapes, so i cam talking about .dv file extension and not .mov. Doing a transcode means that there will be quality loss?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, I am appalled that DV tapes can no longer be imported if this is true - this is outrageous.

Secondly, in answer to the question above importing to a Quicktime MOV file will not necessarily degarde the footage, depending on the settings that are used & the choice of codec.

If you use MP4 then yes, this will degrade things.

However if you use a lossless codec such as the Animation one, or on Mac ProRes HQ you will be just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are on a mac with Catalina or Big Sur you are out of luck.

32 bits is no longer supported.

Dont blame Adobe blame Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines