• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DVD / Blu-ray creation

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So upset that I can't create DVD's and Blu-rays with Premiere anymore.  Grandparents and even some parents prefer physical media they can put in a player and watch on TV - they don't want to hear about streaming or computers.  It's vital to my business.  I paid for a physical version of Encore years ago and CC wiped it from my computer.  So unfair.  As soon as I get a bit more comfortable with Resolve, I will bring me great joy to dump Adobe and I won't miss the login hassles either!!  I've tried Roxio, it's horrible interface.  The free DVDstyler works well enough for DVD's but I can't do Blu-ray.  Anyone have any Blu-ray suggestions for the PC?  Thanks  

TOPICS
Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a physical disk of Premiere/Encore CS6 with serial number, you can install this and still make dvd/bd.

Good alternative for pc:

TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 - The Ultimate DVD / Blu-ray / AVCHD Authoring Tool - Pegasys Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann.  CC would not let me keep Encore, perhaps because it was an upgraded version of Enocre from the cloud over the years.  I def still have the physical media - I wonder if that version would support Blu-ray.  I have used a TMPGEnc product before and it worked very well.  I will check out their authoring software - no way it could be worse than Roxio.  I download the Cyberlink Power2Go trial a little bit ago and at least it has a manageble window to precisely add chapter points.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Enocre from the cloud

At one time PProCS6/EncoreCS6 were included with a Premiere Pro cloud subscription... which 'went away' with recent subscription updates

I still have/use EncoreCS6 but that is based on having purchased the serial number version when it was available

The link I posted has a page with a link to a list of disc creation programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resolve 15 and to my knowledge it can't make discs. I can export for it but have use another program to do it, which is encore cs6. I export an iso from encore with one chapter ( to just play the stupid disc on other people's computers or tv disc players ). simple.

my laptop doesn't have a disc player cause they wanna make laptops thin like mint wafers.

like you find at the plaza on your pillow when you get back from carriage ride in central park with your cinematographer friend.

cause my laptop doesn't have even a simple bd I had to jump through hoops with adobe to get the cs6 installed via internet.

my advice is don't even bother with that old media anymore or else keep it super simple. 1 chapter...put in tv and it plays automatically. in tv. computers have better navigation and data diving ( some bd's are used as data backup instead of movie ).

keep it simple.

good luck.

we got nothin to do with adobe... we are just people who bought the stuff and want to help people edit stuff... I mean, really, this forum is about EDITING 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, Resolve can't burn DVD's or Blu-rays - but it's $700 per year cheaper and I don't have to enter a code from text message AND password to start using a product (as I did 2 minutes ago to log back into a forum I was just logged into 45 minutes ago).  Really just disgusted with CC today.  

There is no way I can sell a grandparent a "online" version of a video or expect them to know how to plug a flash drive into their tv and use it - I don't want endless phone calls after a sale and have to teach every user how to view the media.  DVD's and Blu-rays are still very useful and the easiest way for "non Snapchat" generation to watch a video on their TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 for creating Blu-ray discs.  If you export the video in Premiere as H.264 Blu-ray, Authoring Works will not reincode the video.  The audio and video from Premiere will be separated.  However, they can be multiplexed in Authoring Works.  I still create Blu-ray discs.  Much easier for people to use a Blu-ray player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I am certainly going to try TMPGEnc as you are the second to recommend it.  I downloaded the trial of Cyberlink Power2Go and it seems okish - seems that it will always transcode the video regardless of whether it is already properly formatted.  First effort it used by default MPEG-2 codec and it played terrible - jerky and some kind of interlace problem.  I figured out where to change enocoder to H264 and that disc played fine.  But I will certainly check out TMPG product.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have  also used Cyberlink Power2 Go 13.  It will reincode H.264 videos from Adobe Premiere to create Blu-ray discs.  Even after reincoding the video quality is very good.  I also have used Power2 Go to make an AVCHD DVD disc.  I use HandBrake to reduce the file size.  I have been able to record up to 30 minutes on a DVD.  The quality is as good as Blu-ray.  However, the DVD can only be played on a Blu-ray player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not care about the customer's needs anymore. That being said no one is saying 90% of Premiere Pro user need Encore but the old timers do. Keep in mind I am sure a lot more people would use Encore if it was available for download. People cannot miss what they don't know about. I know the licensing agreement with Encore ran out but Adobe should create a Blu-ray/DVD authoring program. That way we could all be on the same page and offer help to one another.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't imagine that Wedding and Event videographers do not rely on delivering physical media to customers.  People are comfortable with their life memories just hanging in the ether somewhere?  And it's so easy to watch a pyhsical disc on a TV.  

And it seems like with every release of PP it gets more buggie.  I rarely ever had crashes before this new 2021 release - now I see nothing in the playback monitor from time to time and get the fatal errors.  All drivers are up to date and my machine is in line with the Adobe spec.  I'm certainly going give Resolve a good look - love that new edit control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I love a replacement for Encore?

You bet I would!

Would I use it? Well, at least maybe once a year ... and unfortunately, I'm on the high side of users planning on making an optical disk.

Here's another way of telling how little optical disk use there is now: a very small percentage of computers even have an optical disk reader. My new monster editing rig from Puget Systems has 24 cores, 128Gb of RAM, a 2080Ti, about ten SSDs internal (a couple of them Nvme) ... and no optical drive whatever.

My hot Acer Triton laptop, which also handles PrPro beautifully (it better for what it cost ... ) ... has no optical drive. Most laptops these days don't. If the users needed them, the makers would put them in. They're not there ...

Wedding photographers are mentioned in this thread. For over 30+ years, I was a stills portrait photog. With my missus ... that was our living. We did I don't know how many weddings. I added video to the last few we did before dropping weddings from our services. Did the clients want the video on a disc? No ... they wanted a file on a flash drive. This was six or seven years back now. Long enough that one where I did a fair amount of video is already long divorced. Too bad ... there was some good stuff there!

We still know a number of pro photogs who shoot weddings ... do they deliver on disk? Not normally ... most weddings, no. If someone wants it they can, but ... it ain't their normal process. I just asked on a couple weeks back about his business, which is more video than stills these days ... and on optical disks, he doesn't even have anything to read them let alone burn 'em. If someone needed one, he thought a lab he works with could make it. He thought.

And he does a fair amount of drone work ... all kinds. As part of wedding services, or as commercial/real estate, whatever. Has he ever delivered an opticial disk there? Nope. Never been asked for one.

Andy keeps saying "Adobe doesn't care" because they don't fix what ails him ... which is sad, because what both Andy & I would like is something that less than 1 or 2% of the client base would even be interested in. So they're doing what is fine with the vast majority of their userbase. It isn't that Adobe doesn't care ... it's that the vast majority of their client base doesn't care to have it.

And I say that even though I'm one that would love to have an Encore replacement in the CC options.

I'm also enough of a realist to know when something is simply not going to happen, and why.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the poster has a good option to create bd without encore.

if she figures out dvd interlace and progressive stuff she'll probably be able to provide simple disks to clients, grandparents, etc.

the larger issue, becoming slaves to tech marketing, is complex.

when blockbuster died a lot of urban areas got into cable and internet.

laptops became more thin and lighter with smaller screens ( no bd drive anymore)

graphic cards became just the chip ( not the card anymore cause it's huge ).

Lot's of changes.

I hate to say this but professional film makers don't do NOTHIN but make money on a product, no matter HOW YOU VIEW IT and no matter what sponsors pay for the air time, cable time, streaming time, etc.... it's a simple STORY paid for to get it marketed... watched, sold, talked about, etc.

It aint some social communistic FREE dream... the product is real.

Just because you don't have a bd drive on your laptop ( like me now with newest one ) it doesn't mean you can't get something and connect it to that thing via usb or whatever....

I agree that killing things like discs is really stupid but there are ways to work around problems and make what you want.

good luck

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encore was something that worked well with PP and I miss it.  I really liked PP 2.0 (I think) when you could create and burn the DVD right from the timeline.  If I did sell a graduation video to a parent on a flash drive, the ease of copying, posting and sharing is of the complexity that most anyone could easily do it.  Give me a link to any video online and I'll copy and upload it to YouTube in less than an hour if I wanted to.  Sure you can copy DVD's and Blurays but it takes some extra skill and hardware and it's a time consuming pain in the butt.

I can't think of any major Hollywood movie that is not released on a DVD or Bluray - so to say that optical discs are dead just because they don't serve a purpose on many computers is misleading.  I certainly plan to make a Bluray at least of my next film.  They don't serve a useful purpose for data storage anymore that is for sure.  

I appreciated the discussion and tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it will to bluray but the windows version of premiere elements will do a dvd (I always save to iso and use a different program to write the disc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, good to know.  Our local Walmart has elements on clearance for $21.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some research I have found that Elements will burn both BluRay & DVD's from the timeline but only Elements 15 or older.  It's very misleading, the Elements 21 description says you can export and share your videos on disc - but you really have to read carefully in the details to discover that Bluray burning is not an option.  I'm not even sure you can burn a DVD video in Elements 21, it may be that you can just burn file folders.  Very sneaky Adobe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2021, you can only burn to DVD and only on Windows, and that is it.

I don't consider Elements being a substitute for Encore, even it was fully functional.

Menus are hopeless restricted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BluRay/DVD sales are way below streaming views. So even for major movies, optical disks are a sideline anymore. Yea, they can sell a few copies ... so they provide them for some movies.

Of course, being able to stream a movie requires that some service has it "up" and available now. So yea, at X point, you may be able to see all the Star Wars movies on Y service. But then a couple years down the road, they might pull some of them as they upload others.

If you've got the optical disk, you've just got it ... period.

But even there, clearly I'm in the very tiny minority liking to get optical disks of my fav movies and series. I don't like it, but "like" ain't got nothing to do with it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines