• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Link breaks EVERY TIME with After Effects into Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most frustrating things I've encountered from Adobe Premiere. The Dynamic Link breaks every time I save a project in After Effects. I will save my "linked" After Effects project, go back to Premiere and it breaks the link EVERY TIME. This has been going on so long I just re-link it every time and say "Im switching to Da Vinci". I have the most up to date Premiere and After Effects. 

This doesn't happen just once, or right after I open the program. No names are changed, no locations of projects or files change, just every time I hit save....boom, Premiere blows up.

This is unacceptable from a company like Adobe and I can't believe this hasn't been fixed. 

See link. Screen on the right in AE and then left is PP. You can watch it happen over and over and over again, just like I do!

[Moderator note: moved to Bug section of forum posts.]

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Just as someone mentioned above here is what helped me too, hopefully, it saves someone too 😄

- Save your AE project and close AE.

- Relink your comps, so it shows in premiere as linked.

- Then instead of opening the project through AE open it by using right button on one of the comps in premiere (on timeline) and press "Edit original".

Then it seems like dynamic link recognises the path and it starts working with saving again, at least in my case.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate ... it just works here, whether on my desktop or laptop. Typically with this issue there are some things that can be changed on the offending system to get going properly.

The forum that would probably give you the best advice on this is actually the AfterEffects forum, because naturally most of the users there work linking back to Premiere constantly. They've a lot more troubleshooting experience between the two apps than most Premiere Pro users have.

Neil

AfterEffects user-to-user forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This never used to happen to me either, just when I went to 2020 I believe.

I had a friend working at my company try it and it happened to him every time as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate that too. Does it happen with all AE projects or this specific one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All AE files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving in AE  before switching back to Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I make any change and quickly hit Save, then go back to Premiere. 

This didn't happen awhile ago. I think Premiere Pro 2019 it still works fine, but it crashes too much to use. I chose the lesser of two evils. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same thing happen in After Effects when I save in Premiere.  And sometimes when I reload the Dynamic Link, it errors so I have to delete and re-import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this problem! Very frustrating as I have multiple linked compositions under the same AE file, and I have to re-render every clip every single time I make an edit. 

Maybe just maybe - it is to do with having multiple linked compositions under one linked AE project? Can anyone confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the best place to ask this sort of question is actually the Ae forum. Have you been over there yet?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that happening on your system. Bummer. As others have noted, mine is working fine. PP 14.7, AE 17.5, Win 2004.

I've never had that problem. In fact I think it works well. Mostly I do titles in AE, and I see the changes in PP before I even save.

FWIW: Two things I think you can check is your file naming. Make sure it's simple, no special characters like ( or !@3), etc. And even eliminate spaces in the file names and path when possible.

I've read before deleting the 'DynamicLinkMediaServer' folder located here:  %UserName%\Documents\Adobe

sometimes helps. I usually just rename it with an 'x' in front and if I want to go back to it I can, meanwhile PP will create a new folder for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well here's a workaround.  make sure your naming convention for your ae project is clearly related to the ae comp in premiere.  Render out your comp in AE as a high quality file and place that file directly on top of the ae comp in premiere (I actually prefer doing this as it keeps the rendering issues in premiere to a minimum).  If you need to go back and make changes, just open the AE project make changes and repeat the render in AE and replace the previous render in Premiere.  No it's not ideal, but at least you can keep working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever report this to Adobe? I have the exact same problem, but they say others are not reporting this issue so it is not a bug. It must be a corrupt comp according to Adobe. Or many many many corrupt comps appartently, since it happens all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro
User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug report for this started. Please vote so this issue can get fixed!

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43087128-after-effects-dyna...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issues in both 2021 and in beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening to me. I've updated to Premiere Pro 2022 v 22.0.0 and After Effects. How is this still an issue? Its been going on for over a year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever get it fixed? My thoughts were the exact same: switch to Davinci. Absolute joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand your frustrations there! This is simply a killer when you need the tools of Ae. No question.

And it's very frustrating for those of us trying to sort the troubles out for others, because it is so freaking hit & miss. What fixes DL issues for one user, has no help for another. Most of us are doing fine, and some of us are hammered.

Yea, this is just a load of pain. I would hope they can get a more solid Pr/Ae link somehow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Anyone have any luck so far?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check over on the Ae forum, as the Ae power users are all over there. And they typically have more direct Ae/Pr workflow knowledge.

That said ... for some users, getting the task done in Ae, exporting a clip, and replacing a comp with the actual clip is "what works now" ... not ideal, but ... it works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This had just started happening to me too. All was fine with DL up until the latest updates Premiere 23.0.0 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue is happening for me! Happens in the middle of a project, so I'm not sure if it's some other issue but it's so incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered this problem a couple of times on the latest version of AE/Premiere now, and my hypothesis for this is as follows:

If all of your Dynamic Linked comps are created the same way (and I think within the same AE project file), e.g. FROM Premiere into your AE project by highlighting a segment in the timeline in Premiere, right clicking and choosing "replace with After Effects composition", then you can have all your linked comps updating in real time every time you save with no issues. However, the moment you introduce a linked comp via another method, e.g. File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Import After Effects Composition, even if it's from the same project, it will cause all the linked projects except for the comp added by the new method to go offline and you have to relink them manually until the next save. If anyone can try recreating this issue with these conditions to make sure it's not just a problem on my machine, that would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trisha, I just tried to duplicate what you have said, but it all appears to be working. I really like the dynamic link features of 'real time' updates.

• I created a new PP project and put in a couple of clips and did some cuts, and moved the clips around.
  • I then, right-clicked an edit and used 'replace with Ae comp', all was well.
    I named AE project and saved and when I went back to PP all was well.
  • Did another one, new comp, within same AE project. OK
  • quit both
  • Back i PP - I rendered and replaced, both those quit went back in and undid both (Restore unrendered), and then 'edit original' it went to AE all was good.
  • Then I created a new AE comp in the same aeproject and dropped that AE file into PP and added the new comp. It was working good. 
  • I've never use that 'Adobe Dynamic Link' menu option (didn't really notice it!) but added a comp using that, and it seems all was well.
  • quit a rebooted my system, loaded up only PP and everything was there. opened AE and could change any one of them and it update properly.

I doubt if anything in this folder affect the process, (the highest number folder inside that is the one is use). I thought it's OK to delete it, as it will be recreated. But I just renamed it and fired up PP, then AE and it didn't recreate or give a problem, and all linking was OK. I then tried exporting to ME and that worked fine also.

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\DynamicLinkManager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines