• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic Linking - Pr -> Ae -> Pr

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've searched around a little and not really been able to find a definitive answer to the problems I'm having at the moment.

I have a small edit in Premiere, and I've dynamically linked this into After Effects where I've added some motion graphics / animated colour grading etc. I've then precomped this and linked the parent comp back to Premiere where this will form part of a 'master edit'.

The reason I want to do it this way is that this is a 'cyclical project' where these edits will be updated every month and would rather not have to edit or re-render stuff out of after effects to bring back into Premiere.

It was working well, and my master edit had two edited sequences done in this way. However, I'm now trying to do it with a third sequence and Premiere refuses to let me drag the AEP into the master sequence (or indeed any sequence). Premiere is now also refusing to render preview(!).

To summarise the workflow:

1. Premiere: Sequence A + Sequence B + Sequence C built and dynamically linked to AE

2. After Effects: Sequence A, B & C turned into PreComposition A, B & C. (Parent)Composition A,B & C individually linked back to Premiere.

3. Premiere: (Parent)Composition A, B & C brought into Sequence D

Could someone confirm that that workflow should work, or if not why it isn't? (I understand the recursive nature of the workflow could be an issue but the fact that I am carefully precomping I thought should get around this).

Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Dynamic Link is a one way street.  You link a clip into AE, or a comp into PP.  But you can't go from PP to AE back to PP.  This is sort of a mirror in a mirror effect.

Your precomp may have been what broke the chain, because you're not technically linking the same comp back into PP, but as that precomp already has a DL'd clip in it, I can see where trouble might occur.

For simplicity's sake, your best bet might be to start in AE with the clip, then link only once from AE to PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic Link is a one way street.  You link a clip into AE, or a comp into PP.  But you can't go from PP to AE back to PP.  This is sort of a mirror in a mirror effect.

Your precomp may have been what broke the chain, because you're not technically linking the same comp back into PP, but as that precomp already has a DL'd clip in it, I can see where trouble might occur.

For simplicity's sake, your best bet might be to start in AE with the clip, then link only once from AE to PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jim. I figured it was something like that.

For now I've just re-exported my after-effects edits as frame sequences to bring back into the master edit in Premiere. Not a huge task but it's an extra step I was hoping to avoid. Hopefully, Adobe might bring this kind of functionality to dynamic linking in the future, (as well as a few more error messages to let me know if and why things aren't working!)

I'd like to keep the edits initially in Premiere as we find it's a lot quicker to edit and 'finalise' there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that you were able to export just the effects? How did you do that? I'm having the same problem right now. I'm trying to get the fire effects that I had in a E to go to Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pete did not say he exported just the effects which you cannot.

Export with an intermediate codec and put that in Pr timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines