Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Original not working with AE

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo,

Since I updated to 14.6, Whenever I click "Edit Original" (or CMD+E) on an After effects render, AE opens, but not the corresponding project or comp.  It worked fine until recent updates.

When I render out a comp in AE, I make sure "Include project link" is checked in the output module.

It works fine for clips exported out of Audition and PSD, Ai and linked aep files.  Just can't get it to work anymore with renders from AE.

Please advise

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update AE also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, notifications were going into the junk mail...

Still have this issue, and yes, both PPro and AE have been updated.  Seems to work on my PC, but not on my MAC.

Specs:

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

macOS Catalina (10.15.7)

Premiere : 14.6.0

AE: 17.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you opened up each of the old Ae projects in the latest version of Ae so that the project files can be updated as necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have, but I also have the same issue with AE project files/renders from the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Other people in redit also. Can't find the old AE project, without it telling me where it is missing from. This breaks everything, it is so destructive to our pipeline - total nightmare scenerio. I'm going to try to i guess revert... or maybe try old computer. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can control where Premiere saves the AE project.  I always create a folder in my project folder for the media and other elements called AE stuff where I save the AE projects and AE renders.   Premiere is a very complicated program and things can get wonky and when you add the dynamic link aspect with AE comps, it's smart to design your workflow to be able to workaround any issues that arise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and no, If we are changing motion graphics from a couple years ago, sometimes the projects end up far away from each other. I mean I get it, but in a pinch "edit original" has alwasy found the lost AE projects location and name, so then we can chase it down in the archives.

Found a workaround though, create a new project in AE and drag the actual file you need to "edit original" of into AE, and "edit original" from there, rather than iside premier.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

glad you figured out a way to make it work and thanks for posting your workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines