Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit using subclips won't open properly in Audition

Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

I've got a client who insists on doing rough edits himself, them passing them off to me for finishing. His projects are usually a complete and total mess, taking me hours to sort out before I can even start editing. His preferred workflow is to make subclips for everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING, even if it's a short master clip with just a single thought in it, he absolutely HAS to subclip it. I've tried to give him advice a ton of times re: best practices to make my life easier (and to save him a ton of money!), but he's very resistent to actually changing his workflow in any way. That's neither here nor there, though.

The main problem I'm having is that Premiere and Audition refuse to work well together with his subclips. I clean up his edit as I would with any other project, bounce it to Audition using the standard workflow and settings (r-click on sequence > Edit in Audition > Sequence

Entire Sequence

None

9.0sec handles

Transfer Settings

Transfer Settings

☑ Pan & Volume

☑ Open in Audition

The project opens up in Audition, the audio files conform, and everything looks fine. Except that every sinlge subclip is using the wrong portion of the audio. I'm sure there's a rhyme or reason to it on the backend, like Audition is reading the duration TC from the subclip and applying it to the master clip or something, but the end result is an unsuable mess in Audition -- instead of a clip playing the proper sound bite from the edit itself, Audition plays back a seemingly random piece of audio from the master clip.
I've spent hours playing around with the various "edit in Audition" settings with no luck. I've tried opening the Pr. project directly in Audition instead of trying to bounce it to Audition from within Pr. Same thing happens. I've tried to project manage the sequences (consolidate and transcode with handles), but the operation fails due to some unspecified error where Premiere refuses to transcode the audio clips (I assume for whatever the same reason is that Audition 'effs everything up).

I've done a Render and Replace with the audio on the timeline before bouncing to Audition. This works --everything opens up properly in Audition --- but there doesn't seem to be any way to R&R audio with handles, so I'm stuck with zero leeway to edit clips on the Audition multitrack timeline. Frankly, I'm not about to spend hours manually rearranging all of the clips on the Pr timeline, adding handles on either side of every piece of audio, because Adobe can't figure out how to make their programs actually work properly.

I keep having this exact same problem with every project this guy sends me; I've never had this happen with any other client (and I've been doing this for a LONG time). In the past, I've ended up just doing a rough audio edit for each different interview subject/VO recording/nats audio track, exporting an individual mixdown for each, stacking all of the various track mixdowns in a multitrack session, doing a fine mix, exporting separate voice/nats/music mixdowns back into Premiere for any final timing adjustments. I'm not going to mince words here: that process 'effing SUCKSSSSSSSSSS.

Anyone have any suggestions for fixes or workarounds? I'm completely out of ideas...

Win10 Pro

Pr 14.8.0 / Au 13.0.13.46

Though this same problem has been happening to me with every version of Pr since at least Pr 13.1.5 / Au 12.1.5.3 (the versions I was running when this guy first started bringing stuff to me).

All footage stored on internal SSD drives - no NAS drives or DAS drives in play. No proxies, working with the raw footage (well, subclips created from the raw footage, anyway 🙄). Clips were captured using a ton of different cameras, in varying framerates, framesizes, codecs; all clips have this issue, regardless of their specs or point of origin.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent work as always, Adobe!

There are three"solutions" to this bug:

1)  Don't use subclips -- they're janky and super broken.

2)  If for some reason you absolutely HAVE to use subclips (or have a client who insists on using them *cough*), don't use Audition -- the subclips will not translate to Audition properly.

3)  If you find yourself forced to use subclips and want to use Adobe's audio editing software to, y'know, edit audio, you'll have to go through each and every subclip in the project one at a time at the bin level and convert them to Master Clips. Once they're Master Clips instead of subclips, they'll bounce to Audition properly.

-----------

Go to the bin where your subclips are located

Right-click on the subclip

Choose Edit Subclip

Click the Convert to Master Clip checkbox

Click OK

Rinse and repeat!

Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines