Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing and exporting in 36FPS

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am editing a project shot at 36fps and intended to be viewed at 36fps. An artistic choice the director made.

The raw footage plays back in 23.98 and when brought into premiere is also 23.98. (In slow motion) .

The workflow I did was interpreting the footage as 36fps which made the footage look right, brought it into a 36fps sequence and editing it has been fine. But when it comes to exporting it, 36fps is not an option.

What would be your method for exporting this project in the proper frame rate? Is that even possible? I'm boggled it might not be.

I tried editing it in a 23.98 sequence, and speeding the footage 150 percent and it made everything choppy and not have that nice fluid look he wants.

Any advice? Thanks!

On top of all this as well, the project needs to be delivered for color and i assume davinici will also not support 36fps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not positive, but I think your "boggled" state might be correct. I've never seen anything at 36fps (I know you've covered the answer to "why would anyone do this" but I have so many questions for the director)...

The only thing I can possibly imagine would work is to show it at 60fps (a known standard) while the interpreted footage plays at 36 inside the 60, with some sort of "pulldown" effect.

I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong here, but I think Premiere will ingest almost anything, but try to conform it to a known standard/container for playback.

I still have so many questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Buck ... I know of nothing that plays back at 36fps. His workaround is the only thing I can think of to accomplish something similar to 36fps, but designing and enforcing a unique pull-down would probably need AfterEffects rather than Premiere.

IF it can be done.

And if the  director isn't amenable to discussion about this, how about finding out where he's seen any 36fps played back? We'd all love to know!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laurenc56847190 Well this is exciting! Like Neil and buck I am quite interested to see what the final approach is.

Like Neil and buck said: After Effects is a nice option given its ability to work with custom frame rates (which Premiere can't really do on the output side of things), but I have a shot in the dark idea. I would defer to the expertise of Neil and buck as I have absolutely no experience with this (I mean, has anyone?), but they probably understand the technical relationship better than I do.

Could you export your 36fps sequence in Premiere as a HEVC (H.265) .MP4? That codec has broader frame rate options. While 36fps isn't an available option, 72fps is. 72 is evenly divisible by 36 by a nice neat factor of 2 which I assume would make it a better choice compared to say 30 or 60.

To be honest I don't know if any Time Interpolation would be done in this case (deferring to what you set in your output interpolation settings), or if Premiere will simply repeat each frame twice (which seems like it would be ideal). Like I said, that would be something I would defer to R Neil Haugen​ or bucksommerkamp​ as to what actually would happen behind the scenes in Premiere when exporting to a output exactly double the source frame rate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I came across this forum looking for a way to edit Tesla dash cam videos. They too record in an odd format of 1280 x 960 36.03 frames/second (fps). When I go to split or join the video clips in Adobe Premier, and then render a final video, it comes out glitchy (i.e. a second of normal and smooth video playback, with what I would have to describe as a digital hiccup where it would repeat a split second, then continue on, repeat, etc).

If anyone else found a way to work with 36fps video, I'd appreciate any insight on how to work with them in Premier.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would bet that is H.264 intraframe media, and from such a timecode, probably VFR ... variable frame-rate.

If so, convert that to CFR ... constant frame-rate ... in the free HandBrake utility app. Make sure you both check the little circle by CFR and set a specific number frame-rate such as 29.97 in that box. Use a compression that says "near placebo" so you don't re-compress dramatically.

Then try that media in Premiere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I will give this a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines