Highlighted

Editing BRAW 4k 60 without proxy and premiere keeps crashing. Are my expectations too high?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im currently trying to edit a wedding film I shot with the BMPCC4k footage is 12:1 BRAW 4k 60fps.

Editing on Mac with updated software 

3.6 Ghz 8-core intel core i9

128GB RAM

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB Graphics

Editing Source media on SSD LaCie 2TB Rugged SSD Pro Thunderbolt 3, 2800MB/s Read

Cache and scratch on seperate RAID drive

All software is updated.

I can scrub and playback in full or 1/2 but once i start putting alot of clips down on the timeline i get the spinning wheel of death. I was hoping I could edit this without having to proxy... I feel like the computer and ssd should be fast enough. Am i missing something or are my expectations for my computer too high?

Topics

Crash, Editing, Formats, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editing BRAW 4k 60 without proxy and premiere keeps crashing. Are my expectations too high?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im currently trying to edit a wedding film I shot with the BMPCC4k footage is 12:1 BRAW 4k 60fps.

Editing on Mac with updated software 

3.6 Ghz 8-core intel core i9

128GB RAM

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB Graphics

Editing Source media on SSD LaCie 2TB Rugged SSD Pro Thunderbolt 3, 2800MB/s Read

Cache and scratch on seperate RAID drive

All software is updated.

I can scrub and playback in full or 1/2 but once i start putting alot of clips down on the timeline i get the spinning wheel of death. I was hoping I could edit this without having to proxy... I feel like the computer and ssd should be fast enough. Am i missing something or are my expectations for my computer too high?

Topics

Crash, Editing, Formats, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K at 60 FPS is asking a lot. I wonder if the read and write speeds drop after a minute or two of timeline playback. You should be able to run  a program on the Mac that will test CPU, Hard, Drive and GPU. You should be able to locate the bottle neck. Some codecs will hit the CPU harder others will hit the GPU harder. Same can be said about hard drives. Below is an example of my Windows stats program being used for DR and Premiere Pro.

https://youtu.be/Nbm0t_gtRWE

This video compares Premiere Pro to DaVinci Resolve for real-time playback using the Red R3D video files. The computer has an i9900K, RTX 2070 and 32GB of RAM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

learn the proxy workflow.  a little tricky to get your head around, but works great once you do...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second mgrenadiers suggestion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What importer are you using for your BRAW files ? The Blackmagic RAW Plugin or BRAW Studio from Autokroma ?

The Blackmagic Importer is free and works well on some computers, but many users have problems with it. Here is an article with links to these problems : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BlackmagicRaw-Plugin-BRAW-Studio-Difference

BRAW Studio is not free, but there are less problems (it should not crash !), we will give you assistance if you have any problem and there are more features (Presets, Custom A/B, the BRAW Studio Panel to improve your workflow, ...). You can test it for free with the free trial : https://www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/Download

Please note that for now, there is no easy and safe way to convert a project started with the Blackmagic RAW Plugin to BRAW Studio. But you can try just for testing purpose, and if you don't like it (or don't see any difference), you just need to uninstall BRAW Studio and install back the Blackmagic Plugin. In this article we talk about going from one plugin to another : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Compatibility-Blackmagic-Raw-Plugin-BRAW-Studio

If you have any question or feedback : https://www.autokroma.com/contact

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines