Highlighted

Editing off HDD causing playback slowdown?

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is really kind of a two part question/concern.

First, I am really curious as to what most people do as far as storage for actual video files that are being edited. Since I have a Windows desktop, would storing my video files off of an external SSD via USB 3.0 or 3.1 work well?

Second, I just recently did some major upgrades to my computer and yet for some reason, still sometimes experience a little lag on playback for videos. I am wondering (related to my first question) if the cause of this is because I am not editing off of an SSD? They are only 1080p files, but still.

What I have (running Windows 10 Pro, latest versions of all Adobe software):

- Nvidia 2070 Super Graphics Card

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core processor

- 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram

- 240GB Samsung Evo SSD (Used only for the installation of Adobe software, video files on a Western Digital HDD)

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editing off HDD causing playback slowdown?

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is really kind of a two part question/concern.

First, I am really curious as to what most people do as far as storage for actual video files that are being edited. Since I have a Windows desktop, would storing my video files off of an external SSD via USB 3.0 or 3.1 work well?

Second, I just recently did some major upgrades to my computer and yet for some reason, still sometimes experience a little lag on playback for videos. I am wondering (related to my first question) if the cause of this is because I am not editing off of an SSD? They are only 1080p files, but still.

What I have (running Windows 10 Pro, latest versions of all Adobe software):

- Nvidia 2070 Super Graphics Card

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core processor

- 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram

- 240GB Samsung Evo SSD (Used only for the installation of Adobe software, video files on a Western Digital HDD)

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People often forget the cache files, which are a large part of performance in Premiere. So add where you put those into the equation.

An internal spinning disc is typically mostly ok for 1080 playback if the only thing that Premiere is accessing on that disc is the media clips.

I have an SSD for the OS, then an Nvme SSD for the cache files, and then SSDs for my projects and media. I use a few large spinners for general storage. It still seems to work best with a 6-core CPU and 32GB of RAM, 1060 GPU.

I've got a new 24-core Threadripper with SSD for OS, an Nvme SSD for cache, and will be loading in my other drives from this current machine. Even with that beast, I'll be keeping OS/programs, cache, projects and media all on separate discs.

Now ... if you've got one of those 10Gig-e RAID arrays, well ... then you've got rather high-speed storage that can probably hold numberous parts of the process.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil covered quite a bit so I'm just supplementing. I have a similar computer build to you, Zoom. I have an NVME for OS and Software, an NVME for media cache and previews, and the weakest link of my setting is that I primarily edit off of external HDD drives. I/O speed does become an issue in certain situations, but I tend to work with low bitrate proxies so the external drives still tend to work okay. (That being said, I am looking into a RAID DAS to upgrade my work-from-home situation).

It sounds like you don't really have too much to worry about in terms of I/O speeds, but it depends on the bitrate of your media and if you're working with multiple streams. If you're doing multicam, that's a lot more data that has to go through. You can keep an eye on your hardware utilization as you work. Some media codecs like h264/5 are a lot more difficult to work with, and of course the addition of effects and color grading will further add to the processing required to decode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of the 4k DSL cameras from 4 years ago using H.264 listed the speed as 100mbps. That is 100 megabits per second not Megabytes. 

The Red One and BMD Pocket cameras can have speeds of 250 and even 350 MBPS. That is Megabytes per second not megabits.

If you are edting 4K H.264 a single mechanical hard drive will work.

If you are editing 4K or 6K Pro Res or R3D files a single HD might not allow for mutliple layers.

It is not uncommon for the Red Cameras and the BMD cameras to use 2 tarrabytes or more of storage if you a recording video all day long. You ned a lot of storage space and good sustained data transfer rates for those cameras. A RAID system like below might be a good option depending on your needs. You can check out the benchmarks.

https://youtu.be/hfT9ivfbJ98

I test the read and write speed of one Seagate Barracuda HD. Then I use a M.2 to SATA adapter to create a SATA HD RAID 0 with 5 Seagate Barracuda drives.Links t...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 1