Highlighted

editing one audio clip in audio track in Premiere Pro 2017 creates problems for entire track

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question about audio editing in Premiere Pro cc 2017.  When I open the Audio Track Mixer and then on the slot fx1 I click on the dropdown and in the Noise Reduction/Restoration option, I select Adaptive Noise Reduction, it opens the Track Fx Editor Adaptive Noise Reduction dialog box or window.  I tweaked some of the parameters there, like the Spectral Decay Rate and Reduce Noise, I changed their values for one audio clip located in Audio Track 1 or channel 1 in my video, that’s A1.  But when I do that, everything in Audio Track 1 is affected, all the audio throughout the video, even though I made that change only to one audio clip that’s separate from the other audio clips in the soundtrack.  It messes up my entire soundtrack.

I struggle with this because I don’t want that change in Adaptive Noise Reduction to apply to the entire audio track, just to one piece or clip.  Is there a way to make that apply only to one clip without affecting the entire soundtrack on the same channel or Audio Track?  I appreciate the technical advice, thank you.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

editing one audio clip in audio track in Premiere Pro 2017 creates problems for entire track

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question about audio editing in Premiere Pro cc 2017.  When I open the Audio Track Mixer and then on the slot fx1 I click on the dropdown and in the Noise Reduction/Restoration option, I select Adaptive Noise Reduction, it opens the Track Fx Editor Adaptive Noise Reduction dialog box or window.  I tweaked some of the parameters there, like the Spectral Decay Rate and Reduce Noise, I changed their values for one audio clip located in Audio Track 1 or channel 1 in my video, that’s A1.  But when I do that, everything in Audio Track 1 is affected, all the audio throughout the video, even though I made that change only to one audio clip that’s separate from the other audio clips in the soundtrack.  It messes up my entire soundtrack.

I struggle with this because I don’t want that change in Adaptive Noise Reduction to apply to the entire audio track, just to one piece or clip.  Is there a way to make that apply only to one clip without affecting the entire soundtrack on the same channel or Audio Track?  I appreciate the technical advice, thank you.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Clip mixer to change just one clip. The Track mixer is of course to change the whole track.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice, Neil.  And how do I get to the Clip mixer instead of the Track mixer?  I tried with a right click on the audio clip itself but it doesn't look like it has any clip mixer option to select. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the clip mixer.  The problem is, there are no parameters to edit for an individual clip like you have in the Track mixer.  There is no spectral decay rate, fine noise reduction, any of those things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to apply effects to the clip in the sequence to edit individual clips for such things. I know some editors who have a regular group of audio effects they apply, and they saved the group as a preset with their typical 'starting' settings for their taste.

Then they drag/drop the preset to a timeline with everything selected. This gives them their clip setup they prefer, with the starting points they prefer, and they can then edit the settings for individual clips as they wish.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I still don't know the specific menu items or options to click on, in order to do this. 

Do you create this in audio effects or where? By the way, I'm not talking about audio effects, as in special effects.  I'm talking about parameters like reducing noise and other things.  Do you know the specific options to select and click in order to create a preset for adjusting these parameters for a clip?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are all effects ... located in the Effects panel.

Premiere is built around editing clips onto sequences in timeline panels, then adding effects to change the way things look and/or sound. All effects are found in the above-mentioned Effects panel. Some effects, like Lumetri, have their own panel which is a handy way of using them. But Lumetri can also be saved as a named  preset, which 'holds' the current settings, and drag/dropped onto clips from the Effects panel.

All effects after being applied to clips are controlled through their section in the Effects Control Panel.

And as mentioned, you can have several effects applied to a clip, each with specific settings you like, then select them together and save as a preset. When you apply that, all the involved effects will be applied to the selected clip/s with those settings as before. And of course, you can open and edit the settings of each effect still.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the clip on another track than A1, let´s say A2 or A3 and keep it dedicated to that audio clip. Apply the Adaptive Noise Reduction and rock on from there. This is why the ability to have many audio tracks are there. 🙂

If i recall correctly you can have up to 99 audio tracks per timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Averdahl and thank you Neil.  I apologize for not replying sooner.  I eventually figured it out and I simply forgot about the question I asked here. 🙂

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 2