Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing whilst using proxies

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Im new to im fairly new to premier pro and im having a few issues. My main problem is that im using video clips filmed on an iphone 7 for the first time so firstly im not sure if I needed to change any setting as I usually edit using clips from a sony camera. Secondly im using proxies to edit faster because the lagging was unreal! This seems to work fine but when I turn the proxy toggle off the positioning of my edits change, clips repeat throughout and doent show any edits made to entire sequence. Could someone please help bur please be patient with me as im new to editing and still learing.

Thank you

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Many users are having issues with VFR. If the file is variable frame rate, use Hand brake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Many users are having issues with VFR. If the file is variable frame rate, use Hand brake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick respons. 

sorry to sound silly but is the tree veiw the list of media that I have inported, which shows clip information?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phone footage is usually variable framerate and making proxies from those file can cause issues as you have encountered.

The footage that contains variable framerate convert to constant framerate with Handbrake before bringing into Premiere then make proxies if needed.

Follow Bob link on the turorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response.

I will check this out. will this mean I will have to start my project again?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no.  once you've converted the source media to constant frame rate, you can "unlink" the original footage within premiere and relink to the constant frame footage.  It's possible that you may need to adjust an edit here and there by a frame.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, this sounds esier then having to start to project again and import converted footage but how do you unlink and relink with new footage?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are a couple of ways.  select the camera original in the bin in premiere, control click and choose ... wait for it...  "unlink media"  and then after it's unlinked...  wait for it...  link media.  

These contextual menus are very powerful and worth doing some exploring throughout the premiere interface...    Let  us know if you have any issues with this workflow.  I'd suggest doing one clip to see if you get the expected results.  Everyonce in a while I may be wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank so much for all of your help, ive finaly masterd it using handbreak and replace footage.cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and thanks for closing the thread.  Not everyone does that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines